Unfired brass?

ka30270

Just curious what everyone else does. When you start out with a new batch of brass do you work up a load with the brass as is or do you jam one into the lands and allow a "fire form" to your chamber THEN start load workup?

Thanks

I do full seating testing while fire forming.
After ~3rd fire forming, with stable brass and best coarse seating, I move to powder development (ladder). After powder, I tweak seating in it's window for tightest group shaping.

New gun or one you just needed more brass for? Are you looking for the best accuracy or just good enough?

I personally give it a full prep! Size, trim, uniform primer pockets then load with a middle of road charge. Then after a first firing I size and trim and start load development with it!

New X-bolt in 7mm Rem Mag. I usually do a full prep and start load workup but I thought of jamming the lands on 100 pieces of brass with the 7mm. This would allow all the brass to be fire formed off the shoulder instead of the belt BEFORE load workup.
What do you guys think?

new gun just use 20-30 pieces for barrel brake in. then use 20 pieces for load development and then every time you clean your gun fireform a couple as foulers and then a few at the end of your range session and before you know it all your brass is fireformed.
as far as fireforming new belted cases I use a false shoulder instead of jamming the bullet

new gun just use 20-30 pieces for barrel brake in. then use 20 pieces for load development and then every time you clean your gun fireform a couple as foulers and then a few at the end of your range session and before you know it all your brass is fireformed.

^^ That's a good idea, Thanks!

I sized up to 30 cal with all my 7mm RM new brass, do the false shoulder method for a slight crush fit. Then I do load dev, with special attention to velocity readings. Write down everything so the next new batch of brass will take less time. Once you have a load, hunt with it. After your brass is formed, load up a few and find your velocity window again, usually have to go up or down a few tenths of a grain of powder. Once you hit your velocity, check group sizes and see if it's changed. Should be good to go at that point.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.