Uneven primer seating

heydug

I'm getting back to reloading after a number of years off(like 20+!). Things are going well and I'm very much enjoying myself. However I'm a little frustrated with primer seating. I'm using an RCBS press with the attached priming unit that seats the primer on the upstroke. This is a "feel" technique that I don't really like using- being rather new(again) to reloading. Also I'm noticing that the primers are uneven in the pocket, even when I spin the case 180 and seat again. Thoughts? Maybe a Ram Prime Unit or a Hand Primer? Thanks-

3 words-Lee Auto Prime. I use that and it works to the T. Others might say the RCBS Hand primer which is the same concept as the Lee primer. I have never used the on press primer function before. Thats just my 2 cents. Jake

First things first. I would make sure all of the primer pockets are clean. I have seen this issue when the primer pockets are not cleaned and the primer cannot seat evenly because of the built up gunk in there. Second I would make sure that all of the primer pockets are uniformed. I always set the primed casings on a flat surface after I am done priming to make sure that there are no primers that are protruding farther than others. If these two things are taken care of it shouldnt matter if you use the rcbs press to seat primers or a hand primer. I use the rcbs press to seat my primers and don't have any problems with this. If you make sure that everything is correct and you still have primer seating problems then you can try a hand primer and see if it makes any difference at all.

you can buy a pocket uniformer, such as Lyman..that has a couple cutting edges on it . Its made to cut/uniform the base of the pocket, not the circumference of the pocket, and is made to stop at the correct pocket depth so you dont have to guess. Great tool imho. :)

I'm new to reloading. And I've just recently ran into an uneven primer. Didn't realize it was uneven until I was measuring in calipers. The brass is 223 resized to 300blk. My question is if you have an uneven primer is it safe to shoot?

Do you mean the primer is not flush with the case head? If so is it protruding, or lower than the case head? or is it crooked? Or some combination of all of the above? Pic?
Thanks for the welcome.. the primer looks like it is seated perfectly. No protruding. When I set the round in a truly flat metal surface you can feel that the primer is slightly uneven.

I feel that is safe as long as it does not protrude. Not knowing what caused it and depending on how uneven it is, The primer might be crushed. This could cause a misfire or allow gas to leak around the primer.... You can de-prime live primers. You just run the case thru the die again slowly. The de-capping pin will remove it. Primers require an impact force to ignite. I have de-capped lots of live primers without issue. The primer cannot be used after that. Or you could put the primed case in the rifle ( no bullet or powder) then go outside and fire it.

Ok thx for info... I feel like it is probably safe to fire. I've loaded about 105 rounds so far, but have yet to fire one of them. I'm afraid of blowing my face or hand off. But I've followed all the reloading data closely, and triple measure every step taken.

The RCBS seater sometimes needs to be tightened. Retract the sleeve and you will see there is a hole in the seater. Put a small nail through the hole and gently tighten till snug. Also inspect the top of the seater and be sure it doesn't have anything debris attached to the upper surface.

Eventually these seaters wear out. RCBS will send you a complete arm assembly free if you ask.

Don't sweat the small stuff for hunting...unless your group shooting for record it matters not....a single gust of unseen air should worry you much more..

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.