Understanding The Perfect Hog Shot

The outcome of a broadside lung/heart shot with jacketed lead bullets largely depends on the size of the hog and the cartridge used.
Once boars starting getting around the 250 plus range they can be incredibly tough to kill with a 243 or 6.5 creed sized cartridge with a well placed heart lung shot. As in they will run a quite a ways before they go down and your bullet does not always pass through to leave a blood trail and the entrance will plug up with fat so there's no blood to follow. I like kill shots like just above between eyes or under the ear when I have a small cartridges or I'm at closer ranges. I have been using a 6.5 Grendel with 123sst's night hunting for awhile now at closer ranges and have found it's better not to shoot big boars in the heart or lungs so tracking is not involved through brush/thorns, poison ivy, rattle snakes, and having to deal with a charging boar.
I only like taking those broad side shots with larger calibers as they are much more effective. If I have a large enough cartridge I do prefer the shoulder because you have a larger kill zone to work with. This helps in the heat of the moment at night when your free handing it. This year I'm going to try to get the best of both worlds and run a 16" 30-06 with 124gr hammers around 3150fps and see if I can have a light recoiling rifle that still knocks down big pigs where they won't run to far and will leave a good blood trail.

Ed looks like a great time for a channel on rumble. I just found it this week. It's like YouTube but better for free speech and more money goes to content providers.

Thanks for reply and info. My experiences have been very similar. I found often that a lung shot with no shoulder hit will drop the pig, but they'll get back up and maybe run a short distance sometimes just in a circle. I think the 10-30 seconds is right on. They last about as long as the last breath. My curiosity with neck shot is if CNS isn't directly hit or destroyed from shock would you expect the same?

It can certainly happen. I have shot and killed two hogs that previously had been shot "behind the ear" where the bullet passed just behind the head and just over the spine and the hogs survived long enough to have their wounds mostly healed. Hit too low on the neck and they will definitely run.

"Neck shot" and "head shot" are similar generic descriptors. People usually mean to imply making CNS shots, but both the head and the neck are made up of a lot of non-CNS and non-vital structures. You can mess up a "head shot" or a "neck shot" and the hog run away.

Nice hog!

I agree with your ideal shot placement. I've never lost one when hitting them below the ear. I've lost a number of hogs shooting center mass.
Like this!!!! 35 Remington 200gr RN @100yds. Ran off property. I've shoulder shot with 168gr Amax 308 and they don't last 40yds.

I do like @Zen Archery his shot placement recommendation. Makes total sense. I just can't wait to try my hammers!

Like this!!!! 35 Remington 200gr RN @100yds. Ran off property. I've shoulder shot with 168gr Amax 308 and they don't last 40yds.

I do like @Zen Archery his shot placement recommendation. Makes total sense. I just can't wait to try my hammers!

Yeah I hit a meat sow about 125 lbs on the hoof at 50 yards with my 30-06. Handloaded Speer Magtip 180 gr right on the crease. The Magtip has a flat tip so big entrance wound and silver dollar exit. Lungs were mush and part of the heart damaged from the shock. That sow took off just like yours. The guide stopped me from shooting her again because of the "blood cloud" from my shot. She ran farther than we thought. I'll try Zen Achery's shot next time.

IMG_4346.PNG

When able to set up properly, not rushed or anything like that, behind the ear works every time. If you miss, I would say it is just that, a miss. No injured animal running off due to a pulled shot. The Bog Pod death grip was money well spent. My granddaughter took her first pig using it and the 6.5 Grendel with an ear shot. No tracking, no squealing, just a muffled report and a pop. Not to mention one HAPPY kid!

Attachments

• 825C7E32-376E-43FF-9422-A90B80309884.jpeg
    825C7E32-376E-43FF-9422-A90B80309884.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 82
  • C89AD44E-F9A7-4C52-BD72-4E6E4381D354.jpeg
    C89AD44E-F9A7-4C52-BD72-4E6E4381D354.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
12-23-21 IMG_5418.jpg

Got this one about an hour ago down on the river bottom. .277 Wolverine 90gr Gold Dot @2700fps. She took two in the body at about 150yds. Broke her back leg with 3rd shot. She made it about 100yds further before giving up. First time putting this cartridge on game, was hoping for the big coyote I've seen lately but opportunity don't always knock twice.
I prefer my 6.5 Grendel with 123SST's or my 308 with 150SST's they rarely take a step with that combo. Keep putting them down! Merry Christmas!