Understanding Cold Barrel Shots

Glad to hear things are working out for ya. Just to add, I only clean the barrels of my rifles when needed. Each one is different. This is a good site to learn from. Lots of good advice, once you weed out some of the not so helpful posts. I'm surprised you didn't get any responses like "you can't kill anything with a $200 scope" or "you need to have it rebarreled to a 7mm STW"... Everybody knows you need at least a .338!!!:D:D:D
Only kidding, welcome to LRH.

Marcel,

Something bothers me. . .

Pulling a rope through a rifle bore gives me the vapors.

I can see no way that the rope can enter or exit either end of the barrel straight.

A lot of those bore snakes are sol. I used one once, and only once. Gave me the heebeejeebees.

I have nightmares of egg shaped crowns.

Thanks! The advise was solid and appreciated. I've learnt to take everything with a pinch of salt, and first see if there are other same schools of thought, before I seriously look at an opinion. However, I am glad to say that all the advise that was posted was really good, and from experienced shooters, who have passion about the sport. For this I am very grateful. I am also super stoked that the advise solved my problem!!
If I had the bucks, my rifle set up would be quite different, but she does me well for now. I chose the Rem 700, due to its ability to pretty much take all types of equipment and upgrades without much fuss or machine work. They are tried and tested actions, and give good value for money. I'm happy with the grouping I get. The scope is inferior in many ways, but she eases through the box test.
It keeps the baboons away, and that is the goal, as well as being available for the odd Kudu, Blesbok, or Duiker.
I think LRH is a great site. I'm still trying to maneuver through it, but that will come.
Thanks again to all that gave me the solid and helpful advise!! I know that it most probably saved me plenty of school fees!!:D:D

You guys need to get out more!!! Google SPUR WING GOOSE, and you will see what I'm talking about! It is not an ostrich! Ostrich are large!! A spurwing is a goose. We hunt them to hone our skills. If you can hit a goose at 800yards, then a Kudu shoulder will be a breeze. I know, I know, shame, poor goose! But hey they are a pest here, so my wheat neighbors are happy for us to take them out!

EAT THEM! The good old BOERE GEREG (Farmer recipe) is to shoot the Spurwing goose, clean, skin and hang for seven days in a cold room. Then put it in a casserole dish, add 1/2 a cup water, three full onions chopped, ten medium carrots, largely chopped. Then add one cup of red wine, garlic, coarse salt, pepper, rosemary, and a hint of curry powder. Then you put in a 3 x 2 x 3" piece of Kiaat Wood.
Put it in the oven at 170 deg cent, and cook it for 4.25 Hours.
Remove from the oven and then chuck out the goose and eat the WOOD!!!!:D

No we knew what you were doing but here in the states shooting geese with a rifle would get us in trouble with the game wardens. We get to shoot rocks for practice. Your cooking instructions sound like we do carp fish. :cool::Dgun)

Last edited:
Marcel,

Something bothers me. . .

Pulling a rope through a rifle bore gives me the vapors.

I can see no way that the rope can enter or exit either end of the barrel straight.

A lot of those bore snakes are sol. I used one once, and only once. Gave me the heebeejeebees.

I have nightmares of egg shaped crowns.

I agree I quit using bore snakes also. Pulling a dirty brush and solvent soaked rag thru the gun several times spells trouble. also if you ever try pulling a 30 cal snake thru a 7mm you will never do it again. If you can get it out you will be lucky.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.