Understanding cartridge efficiency

This thread is better than a bunch virgin biddies discussing intercourse.

Never has so much been said by so many who deny reality BUT cannot prove their alternative universe exists.

Equal capacities with the same components produce the same velocity.....

.....only when the barrel throat, bore and groove dimensions are the same.

All that does is establish that case capacity has nothing to do with efficiency under those circumstances so the premise that one [tho he doesn't say if one refers to a case or a cartridge] is considered more efficient is specious. I don't know where he got that from.

Never has so much been said by so many who deny reality BUT cannot prove their alternative universe exists.

Who is denying reality? You're throwing crap into the fan by adding stuff like the same components which was not stipulated in the OP.

Last edited:
There's good evidence that shorter, fatter cases tend to shoot bullets more accurate.

And cartridges whose powder charge weights in grains is the same number of square millimeters of bore cross section area shoot most accurately for about 3333 rounds. 40% more powder cuts barrel life in half.

I wish I had the money to get all the equipment to test different combinations. I was just thinking this morning about shape charges. Where the blast can be controlled to a certain extent by the shape of the charge. Don't know if this would transfer to chamber shape.

You can control the blast with water (water charge) redirecting blast waves with a non-compressing element, or the concave of a wine bottle too, to act as a improvised cratering charge. Making shape charges are fun. Until I lost my hearing anyways.

You really can't handle anyone having a conversation can you, adulting been hard on you?
We thought you were out of here, what happened??

You really can't handle anyone having a conversation can you, adulting been hard on you?
We thought you were out of here, what happened??

Really been too much fun watching wannabe experts ramble on with no facts but lots of "feelings".

I "splained" it but some don't want to listen OR cannot handle the truth about their cherished myths about case shape.

I was also unaware you spoke for the group. Only the Queen is entitled to use "we" when addressing her subjects.

But don't stop on my account ---- it's amusing.

I don't shoot a 25wsm anymore. The 257wby is just too good. If you neck 270wsm brass down there is no neck reaming involved. There is no factory ammo for half the rifles I own. My new hunting rifle is a 6.5saum. No factory ammo for it either. No big deal I handload everything except bulk 223 and 9mm.
Shep

Really been too much fun watching wannabe experts ramble on with no facts but lots of "feelings".

I "splained" it but some don't want to listen OR cannot handle the truth about their cherished myths about case shape.

I was also unaware you spoke for the group. Only the Queen is entitled to use "we" when addressing her subjects.

But don't stop on my account ---- it's amusing.

You can't splain something that has no plausible explanation as it was written by the OP. OP being Original Poster.

Last edited:
Has any chamber pressure testing been done on any wildcats. I have read that for an Ackley the only way to achieve higher velocities the chamber pressure must be higher. This is what I wish I had the money to do. Truly test chamber pressure between wildcats and parent case. Also cutting the wildcat back until I have equal volume in both cases ( parent and wildcat) and see how they perform. Anyone want to pitch in a few thousand.😜

Has any chamber pressure testing been done on any wildcats. I have read that for an Ackley the only way to achieve higher velocities the chamber pressure must be higher. This is what I wish I had the money to do. Truly test chamber pressure between wildcats and parent case. Also cutting the wildcat back until I have equal volume in both cases ( parent and wildcat) and see how they perform. Anyone want to pitch in a few thousand.😜
I have tested a couple wildcats and parent cases and multiple powders in each, after a few with doing the work of installing the test equipment, calibrating all the chambering and loading it you'll find it's really a buzz kill to learn pressure signs still show up at the same pressures, you see pressure is only one part of the equation. The most interesting thing actually was watching the reflective pressure signature from different muzzle brakes.

The Ackleys are faster with the same pressure because they hold more powder. Plus you can run a little hotter without hard bolt lift and ejector marks if you want. But pressure being equal the ai case with more powder will be faster.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.