Understanding cartridge efficiency

There is no such thing. cases with identical capacity, using the same loads will have the same velocity.

Again I'll post this link. Please read it.

There is no such thing as what exactly?

Yes I read it, multiple times! Again how do you explain the change in velocity dropping from parent to new design case of the same capacity, your the expert, I'm just a country boy with a chronograph and Pressure Trace asking questions!!

Do you have a specific example of where this happened?

There is no such thing. cases with identical capacity, using the same loads will have the same velocity.

Again I'll post this link. Please read it.

I read it. What are his credentials?

He makes this comment. " No matter how a case is shaped, if it is measured against one of the same caliber and capacity, it will have near identical internal ballistics. " I think he should have confined his comment to cases which are commonly used in shooting sports. I can envision a thin tube with 100 right angle bends full of the same amount of powder as a 30-06 case with a primer at one end and a bullet on the other that would likely not propel the bullet at the same velocity as the 30-06.

There was no HE. There were a whole bunch of experts back to 1945.

Your hypothesis is garbage and just an attempt to muddy the water.

Terrible that you are so invested is a false narrative that you ignore the science of ballistics.

The experts are right and you are wrong and that's how it is.

There was no HE. There were a whole bunch of experts back to 1945.

Your hypothesis is garbage and just an attempt to muddy the water.

Terrible that you are so invested is a false narrative that you ignore the science of ballistics.

The experts are right and you are wrong and that's how it is.

The He is Fred Zeglin, the gent who wrote the article. What are his credentials? I'm not disagreeing with the statement about cases and equal volumes and equal velocities. But I think it's possible to create some sort of outlandish design where that's not true. Then again for the cartridges that we use it is.

You don't know who Zeglin is ? ------ giggle. Google him and buy his books.

Be looking forward to seeing you cartridge with all the 90 degree bends and even more the rifle to shoot it.

Appears you are only here as an agent provocateur.

Be looking forward to seeing you cartridge with all the 90 degree bends and even more the rifle to shoot it.

He's the one who claimed ALL shapes, no?

fEqEJnf.jpg

Last edited:
It appears we are stuck. The question would be a lot easier to answer if Cordite was all we had for a propellant.

'Unfortunately' powder technology (and cardridge design) have advanced faster than most ballistic labs who are still trying to figure out how to measure drag (aka ballistic coefficient)

There are some great answers in this thread, unfortunately it's up to the reader to sort through the chaff, as usual.

Out of the thousands of shooting related webpages and message board threads I've looked at the last few years I can't ever recall seeing him referred to even once. I really don't have any interest in wildcats per se except for the standard ones like the 6.5-06 for which I have 2 rifles. Works perfect for what I need. Also have a couple 6.5-06AI and a .25-284.

I can't really answer the ops question with any certainly because I can't think of to many cartridges that have the exact volume of each other with a big change in shape. I do know for certain that a 308 is almost as fast as a 30-06 with way less powder and a 30br is almost as fast as a 308 with way less powder. So it seems that for each bore size there is a point where velocity is maximized with x amount of powder and to gain more velocity you need to add more powder disproportionately.
But that's not going to stop me from using all that extra powder in my 257wby to get that 200fps gain over a 25-06.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.