Ummm Ya, Actions

Fitz

Well, I pretty much made myself confused. I'm trying to decide on a good action that will allow me to build a 338LM. A lot of posts on here say people build the LM off of Rem 700 or Savage long actions. I've also been reading sites that say LM need larger actions that are bigger than the Rem and Savage action.

My question is, what are the problems that could come across building a .338 Lapua off a long action by Remington or Savage? I've seen long actions on Gun Broker that are pretty cheap and in good shape. What should I be looking for so I make sure I get one that I am able to use?

I wasn't able to find anything with the search function. If someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Are you set on the Lapua?

What about the Edge? It fits easier in the Savage and Remington actions due to the smaller bolt face than the Lapua.

If you still prefer the Lapua, I'd skip the Remington and Savage and find a custom action that is built specifically to handle the Lapua.

Check out the Stiller tac338/Predator Extreme, Lawton 7000/8500, Defiance Machine.

What about the Edge? It fits easier in the Savage and Remington actions due to the smaller bolt face than the Lapua.

If you still prefer the Lapua, I'd skip the Remington and Savage and find a custom action that is built specifically to handle the Lapua.

Check out the Stiller tac338/Predator Extreme, Lawton 7000/8500, Defiance Machine.

I've been looking at the Lawton 8500 and Tac338. Everything I have been able to read, as of current, stated Lawton has been having quality problems. So I was leaning towards Tac338. I just wasn't sure if I was able to find an action that didn't cost almost $1,000.

+1

The 338 RUM has a slight advantage over the Lapua in powder capacity and velocity at the
same pressures and the Edge has the advantage over the 338 RUM for the same reason
(More powder capacity).

The Lapua "Needs a larger dia. bolt" to leave more room for the extractor and this normally
requires the use of a mark 5 Weatherby or a custom action which is more expensive to build
on.

There is no doubt that the Lapua brass is some of the best brass available and will stand
higher load pressures if you are into that.

So with that said the choice is yours .

J E CUSTOM

+1

The 338 RUM has a slight advantage over the Lapua in powder capacity and velocity at the
same pressures and the Edge has the advantage over the 338 RUM for the same reason
(More powder capacity).

The Lapua "Needs a larger dia. bolt" to leave more room for the extractor and this normally
requires the use of a mark 5 Weatherby or a custom action which is more expensive to build
on.

There is no doubt that the Lapua brass is some of the best brass available and will stand
higher load pressures if you are into that.

So with that said the choice is yours .

J E CUSTOM

LTLR has also suggested that I just get the 338 RUM. But I'm not sure about the Remington XCR. I've heard horror stories about the stock and barrel. By the time/cost of replacing both, I might have well built a custom.

I've heard the muzzle diameter of the Remington 338 XCR is pretty thin and makes it difficult to place a muzzle brake and that the stock is a cheap mold injected stock.

Just curious, has anyone been able to play with Weatherby Mark V 338-378 Wby. Mag.?

A Weatherby Mark V stainless action was used to build my .338 Lapua Mag. The more I use this rifle the more I am completely satisfied with the build. Here is why, with some facts that may be of interest if you are thinking of building one.

I use H-1000 and CCI 250's under 300 SMK's. I get velocity over 2850 with room in the case for more. No sign of pressure. Not even the slightest of crater on the primer. I just reloaded the first 100 cases I started with for the 7th time. Every single primer pressed in firmly and every one felt the same going in. I have trimmed the cases 3 times durring this time, once when new. I have bumped the shoulder back twice and just a slight bump. I do anneal the necks but most of the time a cleaning and a neck size would be good to go. With the 7th time reloaded my worst runout checked at the O give of the bullet was .002". That is total RO, so .001 each way. I have taken much game with this rifle at extended ranges. Here are the 3 farthest, Antelope at 820, WT deer at 1137, and a Bull elk at 1130 yards. All DRT.

Two weeks ago, I stopped by the range. Took out 3 rounds, ranged the steel plate at 1007 yards, entered the conditions and range in the pda. Dialed up 24.25 moa. and left 3/4 moa for spin drift. Then off my Harris 9-13" bipod fired the 3 rounds. Went to the target and I had a 4 1/2 " group. I was very happy. Today I stopped by the range again. I had since cleaned the rifle. I did the same proceedure. These 3 were in the same group as the last 3 from 2 weeks ago. Six shots, two cold bore, 4 follow ups inside 4 1/2 inches at 1007 yards.

Maybe I am just easy to please but the 338 LM has earned my respect.
Sorry for the long post but I tend to jabber when I get around a pretty girl or a good shooting rifle..:D:rolleyes::cool:

Good luck with your build.
gun)gun)

Jeff

A Weatherby Mark V stainless action was used to build my .338 Lapua Mag. The more I use this rifle the more I am completely satisfied with the build. Here is why, with some facts that may be of interest if you are thinking of building one.

I use H-1000 and CCI 250's under 300 SMK's. I get velocity over 2850 with room in the case for more. No sign of pressure. Not even the slightest of crater on the primer. I just reloaded the first 100 cases I started with for the 7th time. Every single primer pressed in firmly and every one felt the same going in. I have trimmed the cases 3 times durring this time, once when new. I have bumped the shoulder back twice and just a slight bump. I do anneal the necks but most of the time a cleaning and a neck size would be good to go. With the 7th time reloaded my worst runout checked at the O give of the bullet was .002". That is total RO, so .001 each way. I have taken much game with this rifle at extended ranges. Here are the 3 farthest, Antelope at 820, WT deer at 1137, and a Bull elk at 1130 yards. All DRT.

Two weeks ago, I stopped by the range. Took out 3 rounds, ranged the steel plate at 1007 yards, entered the conditions and range in the pda. Dialed up 24.25 moa. and left 3/4 moa for spin drift. Then off my Harris 9-13" bipod fired the 3 rounds. Went to the target and I had a 4 1/2 " group. I was very happy. Today I stopped by the range again. I had since cleaned the rifle. I did the same proceedure. These 3 were in the same group as the last 3 from 2 weeks ago. Six shots, two cold bore, 4 follow ups inside 4 1/2 inches at 1007 yards.

Maybe I am just easy to please but the 338 LM has earned my respect.
Sorry for the long post but I tend to jabber when I get around a pretty girl or a good shooting rifle..:D:rolleyes::cool:

Good luck with your build.
gun)gun)

Jeff

Thats what I like to hear. Did you buy the action stand-alone or did you part out an old rifle?

Thats what I like to hear. Did you buy the action stand-alone or did you part out an old rifle?

I am sure it was from a doner rifle. Here are a few pics. It is the nearest one.

DSC00956Large.jpg

DSC00955Large.jpg

In a Rem action I would look at the 338 Norma. The Lapua bolt face is not a problem, but with a 300 smk seated where it should be you are left with one ong *** cartridge. The Norma is designed for the Rem and a 300 smk and seated where it belongs OAL is 3.6"

+1 on the 338 norma. The lapua can also be done on the 700. I have seen hundreds of them and they work just fine. I have talked to Shawn Carlock and others.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts