ultrasonic

trueblue

I have read some articles on ultrasonic case cleaning. Seems interesting, but don't know if it worth the effort. I know some benchrest guys are doing it, but is there an application and benefit for a longrange hunter, or is it overkill. Don't want to get into a discusion on brass prep merits, only want to know if anyone hear is cleaning their brass this way, and if they find there to be a benefit in some way.

As much I don't want to I would have to agree with Boomtube. You won't get any appreciable difference through a factory rifle.

There have been quite a few debates about ultra-sonic vs tumbling or a mix of the two. I use a mix of the two but do I see any real differences? Not really. At the end of the day it is down to managing variables if you are shooting benchrest or just getting your cases super shiny!

Stick with what works for you.

Ultrasonic can lead to problems with primer and bullet seating. Not worth the effort IMO unless you just have to show off your cases and admire your reflection in them. Spend the money you save on a better barrel and brass prep. Key is consistency. Pick a method and stick.

I only do it because I like mirror brass.

One thing for the ultra sonic cleaning is the carbon that gets removed from the inside of the cases. When I start my cleaner the carbon comes out the case mouth like a smoke cloud. I use 50/50 water and white vinigar followed by Birchwood caseys brass cleaner. That way I know I'm only putting clean brass through my dies (No carbon in the neck). Then I clean again with dish washing detergent to remove lube. Then tumble for 30min before loading.

I tried ultrasonic about 6 months ago, didn't have much fun at it. I wanted to post the question to get others experiences with it, to compare it to my own.
Thanks for posting.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.