Ultralight Bipods???

fordnutter

My walkabout long range varminter just went on a weight diet & lost a whole pound in the process thanks to a lightweight suppressor & Leupold VX3 scope. It got me thinking about bipods...I currently use a Harris 9-13 swivel bipod with the notched legs which I've found great. Are there any worthwhile lighter weight alternatives out there that will still make for a stable rest? I came accross the snipepod which look freakn light but I can't imagine they would be that great to shoot off? Ideas, experience anyone?

I have used the SnipePod almost exclusively for nearly 15 years. I have shot most of my big game animals off it and have watched new hunters shoot their first animals off it. Just last weekend after using it on an antelope hunt in NM with Zeiss (shot my antelope from a sitting position at 275 yards off the SnipePod) we had some time to play with a bunch of different scopes and rifles. I shot my .270WSM and my .300WIN out to 700 yards from the SnipePod.

It is nowhere near as stable as the Harris, but for a hunting situation, there is nothing better. It stays off your rifle until you need it, and then it securely attaches to it. It is so lightweight that you will never know you're carrying it. I have never understood why someone goes through all the effort and money to get a lighweight rifle and then adds a 1/4 of it's weight to the front with a bipod. It works perfectly for extra stability on all reasonable ranges and can be used in a pinch for long ranges.

The Outdoorsmans carries the SnipePod... give them a call!

A few years ago, Caldwell was going to come out with a Ti-pod made out of titanium. They looked like the Harris, but I've never been able to find them. Seemed like that would have been the perfect solution.

I have used the snipepod also for years, very light and helpful. You cant just set your rifle and leave it balance. I use a sitting model and a prone model, prone is only 4 oz. With sitting I try to get back up against a tree and use any other support to help, pack coat etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.