Ultra Mag Repeater on a Howa Action?

MontanaRifleman

I've been leaning more and more to the Howa actions but it looks it will not work for an Ultra Mag repeater rifle. The mag box is shorter than the 700 mag box which is already too short for my 300 RUM handloads.

Has anyone built one of these? Maybe I just need to stick with the 700 for the RUM cartridges?

I was just talking with Pete Lincoln the other day about this exact same thing. If you dont know who he is I will post a link to his site. I will also include his responce to my question. Bottom line is he builds 338LM's on the HOWA LA with detachable mag systems. If there is an awnser to your question he will have it!
Roedale Precision - Pete Lincoln
"Pete
I did some trading with you for parts and you tuned my trigger hope you remember? Any way I have some questions? I have my rifle all built now on the Howa LA but the bullets Im using will not fit in the magizine. Do you have any recomindations on how to modify my magizine to fit longer bullets?

Jon

Hi Jon,
you need to extend the feed well. / mag port, there is a nose that sticks out infront of where the trigger is mounted.
machine that away and then extend the factory box magazine,.
its basic metalwork to do and about 1 hours work,
regards Pete"

Interesting Jon, and thanks. I was looking at that myself and it looks to me that there is about .17" to grind off there before you compromise the the lug on the trigger base. And then there is the the bolt stop/release which looks like it would have to be modified? Well I guess if he is doing it can be done, but it still might be a little tight for a handloaded pointy high BC RUM bullet. The Lapua case is a bit shorter than the RUM. maybe the Lapua is the wy to go, or maybe I should settle for a single shot....

Maybe I'll contact Pete for some more details.

I just emailed Pete. My COAL for a 210 Berger is 3.86 and with newer high BC bullets coming on the market it may get longer. I suppose I could have the throat chambered a little sorter.

I thought from what he said here...

"...there is a nose that sticks out infront of where the trigger is mounted.
machine that away and then extend the factory box magazine..."

...that it was the rear of the mag box? There doesn't look like a lot of room to grind off the feed ramp. I'll see what Pete says.

I very much appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark

Yes I see now your right. I would love to here what pete tells you as well. I have been debating weather to send the rifle back to Kevin Cram to do the work or wait until I shoot the barrel out. I just dont know eather way I would love to use my gun as a reapeter with the bergers.

Pete Lincoln use to post on LRH. I hadn't heard from him in a long time... Isn't he from Germany? Maybe he can put an answer on here.

FWIW Pete put a 6.5x55 on a Howa S/a and milled the nose at the rear of the mag well / lengthened the mag box.
I know Pete as just been sorting a familly bereavement and is preparing for the IWA Show.in a week ... so he is probably against the clock! try a message on his site @ Roedale Precision - English Craftsmanship Made in Germany

Kemen, How long a cartridge can you pu into your box, or what exactley is the clearance in your box?

Thanks, Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.