Ultimate Tripod

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
I have one of these but have not used it much so far. I notice some of you use it and wonder how accurate you feel you are with it. Specifically, if your rifle off a benchrest shoots, let's say 7 inch groups at 1,000 yards...what would your groups be off the Ultimate Tripod?

Sorry Len,Did'nt see it.The U Tripod is a very stable shooting platform.I have never shot groups at 1000 yard's with it.I have however did load testing with it at 100 yards.And the group size was the same as off a bench.I have also made first round hit's on groundhogs at over 750 yard's with it.If you have it "dug in good" and everything is tight.It is very close to being as stable as shooting off a bench

Is this the rig I see some of you easterners using on long range deer in your videos and still pictures?

Yes sir it is....Here is a good pic of it
fce25358.jpg

Howdy Boyd

I really like the stock, how much does it weigh, and how stiff is it? I would also like to know how wide is the flat part of the fore end? Does John Hoover have a web site?

S1.The stock was designed by Alex Sitman for John Hoover.....John has a web site at Master1000 Benchrest stock....The stock weighs 4.70 pounds.And are 2.96" at the forend.These stocks are fast becoming THE stock in the 16.5 pound class.If you look at their record over the past few years.The stocks work....

Randy,I use the Tripod 99.9% of the time.There are a few good places to hunt hog's in Pa.Went to erie over the summer....Lot's of hog's up there.I start shooting groundhog's at around 500 yard's..Anything under that is too easy
grin.gif
grin.gif

Howdy Boyd

When you shoot a big cartridge with a stock like that, can you shoot it free recoil, or do you have to hold it firmly into your shoulder?

S1.The gun at 13.5 pounds with a brake is still a handful.I always held on pretty tight.One thing to know is the gun was built as a hunting gun.The barrel taper is light for an all out 16.5 pound gun.After 6 or 7 record round's it would start to open up.Quite afew times over the year it put the first 5 or 6 round's in the 7" range.The best the gun will do for ten shot's is 10"

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.