Ultimate Tripod questions..

..Thanks Wayne.. Great to hear.. I think I have my little problem figured out.. Seems this thing locks into position better from the "center blade" side as opposed to the "double blade" side.. So most weight needs to go that way.. I've had it locked on the side of a brick building for a while this AM and so far the crosshairs are holding good.. You're right it ain't a bench but then again my bench won't move like this.!
wink.gif
grin.gif

.. Here's this morning's modifications.. I've made an adapter to facilitate using one of my windage adjustable "bench style" front rests and added a cartridge holder that will accomodate 8 cartridges and a couple of scope caps.. (measured for Leupold caps.) Both will slide to wherever ya need them..
.. The next move is to try and adapt this flex joint to a more updated surveyor's tripod.. That would make major adjustments to the leg positions way easier.. (One latch as opposed to a couple of wingnuts..)
.. I've seen a bunch of stuff I'd have done different but hey, this booger is way cool..!! More than ever now I'm thinking that a combination of my rest and this one would truly be "The Ultimate Tripod".. I just don't know if there's enough money or market to generate any interest from those that would have the goodies to manufacture such a gadget, tho'.. d:^) JiNC
..Hey 338-378.. Thanks for the tip on the washer.. It seems to be working OK now..

Sorry for the pic quality..It's raining out and I can't get any decent light..

UT_cartridgeholder.jpg

[ 06-07-2003: Message edited by: Jake in NC ]

And now for today's mod.. While trying to fit the Ultimate Tripod(UT) base to my tripod top I noticed that the UT's leg bracket ID was the same as my tripod's legs OD.. So I just bolted mine to theirs and Voila.!! Seems to test OK in the yard despite the fact that the yard is extremely saturated from all the rain..
.. Is there any reason I shouldn't change the 1/4-20 center post over to a little beefier 5/16-18 w/ a star knob.?? Thanks.. JiNC

UT_Dutchlegs.jpg

Hey Jake,

some things came up and I ain't made it over there to get that pic I promised yet. Soon though. After seeing your yellow tripod, I wonder if the one I saw, which was yellow too, was fiberglass and not aluminum. I'll find out for positive... they look alike though.

.. Well, I did the 5/16-18 conversion tonight.. All I had to remove was the coating in the slot for the most part.. The hole in the bracket and bottom were just a matter of drilling them to 5/16.. Still, there was very little metal actually removed.. I went to snag one of the threaded thru knobs on Sandy's quilting rack but they were a little too cheesy for the job at hand. (Much to her relief.) I guess a trip to Automotive Fastners is at hand..
.. Anyhow.. Ya think there may be enough interest in this process to make a web page.? d:^) JiNC

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.