Ultimate Tripod questions..

Jake in NC

.. Hey guys.. Please tell me about this gizmo.. I know they're available from places besides Hart's.. But from what I've seen there I'm still confused.. Does this thing come ready to use or do ya need all the other "optional" pieces to use it.?? I'd like to be able to use one sitting or standing with a Tooley MBR stocked rifle and maybe occasionally a narrower flat-bottomed stock.. What's the scoop..?? Thanks in advance... d:^) JiNC

PS- For those wondering why I'm interested in this tripod when I make my own.. Mine is a bench rest that can be converted for field use.. This seems to be mostly a field use platform.. And I'm still trying to find a reasonable machine shop to do the work..

Hello Jake in NC,
They come ready to use, You have the option of 29" leg or the 50" leg. Long or short rails, narrow or wide block, I guess now with the bench pod setup all ya have to do is change legs. The top is a universal thang I guess. I have had mine for many years and swear by it. I'm ready for a new one , maybe they'll sponsor PBLR someday. They should for all the adv. they're getting. LOL . We all have the 50" legs to stay above vegetation. Plus If I sat down to shoot I may have a cheekfreeze here in deer season. I have the short rails on mine should have made some longer ones by now but haven't, was gonna do it a long time ago. We have added weight to our legs to try to tame them down a bit when you shoot the big boys. We also change knobs and got rid of the wingnut BS. Did ya ever try to loosen a wingnut when your hands are so cold they hurt??? I have mine at a shop being modified by my buddy for this year. They are an awesome system and will be hard to beat for the money. But they could be improved and have if ya got some tricks up your sleeve. It is very important that you balance your rifle(s) via the hole adj. longer rails will aid in this especially if your gonna but a heavy gun on them. Any other questions??????????????????
Let me know!!!!!!!!!!!

Howdy-do,338-378..
.. I always have more questions..
grin.gif

.. Do the legs adjust for length or do ya just spread the 29" or 50" out till ya have the level ya want.?? How do I know which rails/blocks to get.? I guess if I could contact the maker that would probably help a lot.. I'll havto see one and play with it before I can start modifying it..
grin.gif
JiNC

..Heck.. If I gotta go thru all that I'd just as soon have a pic of the flex joint.. Hehehe..
grin.gif
grin.gif
Sounds like a combination of that critter and my rest might be something to consider.. Thanks, 338-378.. JiNC

Jake,
The legs are adj. in and out(this is controlled by a chain length) up and down(this is controlled by metal bands around the leg assembly using dingnuts) As far as the block goes measure your stocks and make your own. You can make a one block system to handle several different widths of forends. I'll try to send ya a pic later on. It may give ya an Idea of what I'm talkin about.
I would go with the longer rails if your shooting a longer rifle and buy and make a set of shorter ones or vica versa. They are made out of inch square alum. with a couple sets of adj. holes on either side. No biggy.

[ 05-28-2003: Message edited by: 338-378 ]

..OK.. I got one of these critters here now.. Interesting contraption.!! I must be doing something doofus, tho'.. I can't tighten up the knob enough to make it sit still even w/o a rifle on it.. And now I've split the little synthetic washer.. Any useful advice from the experienced would be greatly appreciated.. d:^) JiNC

PS- It's currently undergoing some modifications.. The front rest is severely cheesy and will not do.. Pics coming soon..

Jake,
Do you have the piece of flat metal that is bent like a V with a hole in the bottom of the V turned upside down with the washer and knob on top. Mine was wobbly also until I got the piece installed properly. If you unscrew the knob, remove everything, set the rest with the ball in the socket on the top of the legs then put the V shaped piece upside down ( hole up ) and then put washers and tighten up knob it should be pretty stable. If you already have it like that then I don't know what to tell ya.
Take care,
Wayne

.. Hey Wayne McD.. Thanks for the response.. I'm pretty sure I have that part assembled right.. Only thing was I had the synthetic washer under the metal washer at first.. DOH.! I'm not sure if I'd say it's all that "wobbly".. It just won't lock the moving parts into any particular position.. The upper assembly actually moves very smoothly..
.. Have you enjoyed your tripod.?? It seems like a neat gadget and I look forward to working with it.. d:^) JiNC

Jake,
Yes, I enjoy mine immensely. I haven't hunted with it yet, just target shooting, not as solid as the bench but pretty good. Was shooting my 300 RUM off it at 1000yds and getting consistent hits at a 30" wide by 20" tall steel gong, much fun!!! I need to practice with it more, would like to be able to shoot like Boyd and Butch someday.
Take care,
Wayne

Jake,

I was at Alaska Industrial Hardware the other day and was looking at surveyor tripods there. The didn't have the flat top tripods in stock then but had the other type I'm wondering if you've looked at. The type I'm talking about are actually rounded on top, like an upsidedown bowl, and look like they could be the perfect setup if one had a matching "top" piece that mated perfectly to the shape of it. Fit the rest platform to it and it may be really solid. Seems they are made that way to level the laser head without having to level the "top" plate itself.

I'm not sure how large in diameter the ball and socket design of the Hart system is but the head on the tripod I'm talkin about is about 5" around and may offer far superior stability. I can get a pic of one when I'm over there today, and ask about matching tops for them if you like? I think they were $88 for the sweet aluminum tripods.

Jake,
The only drawbacks with going with an all Aluminum Surveyors Tripod MAY be.
1. When you touch that monster off it may really Rock the house.
2. Will be one large Tuning Fork.
You'll have to let everyone know how your progessing. This is gonna get interesting.

..Brent.. Sure thing.. I'd like to see a pic of it.. That mating surface would be the "tricky" part.. It'd probably take a real machinist to figure it out.. There always seems to be one little detail that makes any solution difficult..
grin.gif
I've goofed around with PanaVise type gadgets also.. Almost, but no ceeegar.. Hehehe..

..338-378.. Actually, the main tripod I've been using is fiberglass.. I like it for it's rigidity and its pretty quiet.. The main drawback is cost.. They're a little more than the $89 aluminum jobs over at Home Depot.. But you can see where being able to step on that little foot pad on the back of the leg and just loosening the lever for totally free up/down motion would be key.. Especially in mountainous areas where ya might havta go from top to bottom quickly.. Not to mention being easier on those frozen mitts.. Hehehe..
..And one more thing.. It there a Butch and a Glen in your camp.?? Thanks... d:^) JiNC

Jake,
Make sure all nuts are tight that hold the threaded rod. The metal V should be upside down. I haven't had my synthetic washer for years. The bowl in bowl design is very sleek, Scotchbrite. If it gets to sticky Paraffin Wax.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.