Ultimate Sheep Rifle Build

Looking at all these builds and ideas.
I've decided I love my RUM so much...
300 RUM ..take out of cheap stock it came with bed in a nice manners EH4 or mcmillan game warden ..sendero barrel when mine is worse out and let fly

Ok here's my latest build for sheep hunting and everyday deer hunting !
Kimber Montana 84M 6.5-284, action slabbed, trued and squared
22" Benchmark #1 Contour 1-8 twist, with hand made brake for 24" total barrel length
Lightweight trigger guard
High comb added to the Montana CF stock.

The very first 3 shot group out of it with Nosler Trophy Grade 130gr Accubonds

Well done sir!

My apologies to the OP as I just noticed at the bottom of your original post you were going to use an Axial Precision Action and CF stock......ill leave my post up anyway

If your on a budget best route for an Ultra Lightweight Sheep hunting rifle is to grab an used Kimber Montana 84M, they have an excellent adjustable trigger, a lightweight kevlar-CF stock which is easy to modify, and a very lightweight CRF action,

Adjust trigger to 2.5lbs,True&Square action,rebarrel it with a Benchmark #1 contour SS 20"-22" barrel, 6.5CM, 7mm-08,6.5-284 any of those calibers are fine for sheep, Gunkote in your fav colour and paint stock, add Talleys and a VX3i 3.5-10x40 CDS, poof your good to go at a reasonable cost.

Heres a Cpl picture of Kimber's we did just that to.

This is my son Brad's Kimber Montana 7mm-08 with a Benchmark #1 SS Barrel 22",Pewter Gunkote,and stock painted green with fine black splatter, Talleys and a Swarovski 4-12x50 BT Plex

Next up is a Kimber Montana 84M action, I had built and donated to the WSS of BC last year, trued squared and slabbed action, Benchmark #1 SS 20" barrel chambered in 7mm-08, cheekpiece added to the stock, it weighed 6lbs scoped, this rifle shot one hole groups with Nosler Trophy Grade 140gr ABs.

here's my factory stock Kimber Montana 6.5CM with a facelift, it shoots well enough I haven't had to rebarrel it yet, High comb and cheekpiece on the stock, gunkote and painted.

You're probably not monitoring this thread any longer but if you are, I'd love to know how did your cerakote and stock painting. I have a Montana that I'd like to do a similar paint job on but you need to find someone good using quality stuff so it doesn't rub off with handing, hunting and time. Love the black cerakote over the original stainless too. Sharp looking rifle. Thanks in advance!

Great thread.
I think the Op wanted suggestions for a chambering. Sorry I'm late to the party but I would be going 7mm-08 in a short action, maybe AI it.

I have had a .280ai built on a Tikka action using an IBI CF barrel and an Aussie made Bolly C/f stock.

Not hunted it yet. Soon, i hope.

Sheep? We don't hunt them in Australia but I have a sheep rifle/mountain rifle.

You're probably not monitoring this thread any longer but if you are, I'd love to know how did your cerakote and stock painting. I have a Montana that I'd like to do a similar paint job on but you need to find someone good using quality stuff so it doesn't rub off with handing, hunting and time. Love the black cerakote over the original stainless too. Sharp looking rifle. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the kind words

My gunsmith uses gunkote which he bakes after applying, it makes a very tough finish, it seems to go on thinner than Cerakote
For the stock paint he use Urethane

Looking to build my next Rifle - this one will be focused on Sheep -
I've never hunted them but will be and want to build the ultimate rifle platform that can be passed down someday.

I have some questions for those who have a lot of Sheep experience:

1. Cartridge? I'd prefer a short action for weight but am open to all.

2. Barrel length.

3. Preferred barrel material.

4. Preferred barrel contour.

5. Muzzle brake yes or no?

6. Front pic rail and bi pod or no?

7. Action material.

8. Magazine type? (BDL,Detach box)

9. Scope power range?

10. Dial turret or reticle?

11. Best all around Sheep bullet?

Any special notes?

The action and stock will be Axial Precison.
I have my choice of action material (Ti or Stainless) and the stock is carbon fiber and is a traditional mountain stock design.

I figure it has to be light , accurate to 800, enough for a brown bear encounter. Short enough to maneuver, weather proof and as little junk hanging off as possible so it comes in and out of a pack, horse scabbard or airplane easily. Its a bdl with the dropping floor plate I've got a boyds laminate thumbhole stock on it with a mercury tube instaled.the scope on it now will be replaced with a 6x24 exposed turet design. Ive put a bipod on it though i would expect a serious sheep hunter to remove it if hiking for days in the mountains. This is my ideal sheep or goat or pretty much anything under 2000 yards gun. I hope these ideas help you but it sounds like you already have a good idea of what you want

I appreciate all of the feedback.
The sheep gun i am presently building is a 7rum never will i claim to ge the god of sheep hunting. That being said. In my guiding years i found the 7mm to be very good for this purpose. The rifle im putting together is a 700 action with a light weight 26" barrel steel ceracoated. Bdl with dropping floor plate. Boyds laminate thumbhole stock with a mercury tube installed. It has a timney trigger and a bipod that i would expect a hunter to remove if packing through the mountains for days. Very accurate beyond 1000yrds. Hope this helps though i think you already prety much are headed in a good direction

Attachments

• 20210616_062540.jpg
    20210616_062540.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 111
Last edited:
This is what I ended up with - a lot of what went into this came from the feedback from you guys and I appreciate each and every one of you.

300 PRC
21" Custom Proof Carbon
Full size Axial carbon hunter stock with ultra light weight fill.
Axial Convergence action.
Skeletonized bolt, lug.
3/8" pad
Titanium muzzle brake.
Zeiss V6 3-18
TriggerTech Diamond
SnipePod
7lbs 8 ounces scoped and loaded, bipod.
Very nice i think if i could go wild like that I'd go with 30 378 for the flatest 30 call shooter ever made but i also recognize the 300 as an extremely capable and popular choice

I skimmed over most of this thread, but keep in mind sheep aren't tough. The terrain certainly is.

Any deer/elk rifle is perfectly capable.

Fast and flat, that was the advice given to me last year. I shot mine ~260yds with a 280, 140 Accubond. Stumbled down the hill about 5 steps.

For the rarity of a sheep hunt, I certainly appreciate the excuse to buy/build a rifle, but don't overthink it. I almost took the .243 and I am certain it would have done the trick too.

Spend the money on the binoculars, tripod, and a seat pad. You will spend a lot of time using them.