Ultimate Sheep Rifle Build

What bullet do you prefer?
If your committed to a Berger bullet, their 215.
If you're open to others, a tipped ELD-M or ELD-X, or Nosler Accubond.
I've hunted Dall's rams since 1978. I'm currently switching to lathe turned monolithic constructed bullets. Great accuracy with the proper twist rate barrel. Less meat damage. If you surprise a Griz at close range, you won't have to be worried about obtaining sufficient bullet penetration.
You might contact Steve (post #14). He's a full bred hunter, turned bullet maker who's making some top performing lathe turned copper bullets. And if his won't perform reliably upon impacting a game animal - he won't sell them for hunting.
Thanks for sharing.

BTW, I prefer 30 over smaller cals since you mentioned brown bear. Leave the peashooters at the house for less dangerous game.

And as someone has already mentioned, going ultralight is nicer for carrying, but less nice for accurate shooting at longer distance. A guy's imagination can lead to overdoing it. I'd be completely content with a 7 1/2 lb bare rifle weight. Scoped ~8 1/2.

I use the same scope you ID'd on my two backpacking rifles. 4 season's on my sheep rifle, and 2 seasons on my bear/moose rifle so far without any hiccups. I also added the aftermarket turrets for turret twisting. Very happy with them so far. Their light weight, clear quality glass, reliable turrets, nice etched reticle, and - thus far - dependability, make them the ideal backpacker's riflescope - IMO and experience.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I am in the process of kinda the same type of build. If I ever draw a sheep tag it will be a sheep rifle. Otherwise it will have to settle for deer and elk along with whatever else I can hunt here in MT.

I am using a Win 70 donor action. I have settled on doing a 280ai with a 24" Proof Sendero light. This I think is the most bang for the buck without any fuss for the standard long action. Will do an 8" twist so that I can run our 177g Hammer Hunter if I choose to. Although I am intending to run our 143g Hammer Hunter for everything out to 700y. I am pretty sure that I will be using the McMillan Game Warden carbon stock. I will be doing a blind mag. Just don't see a good reason to spend the extra money to change from the original bottom metal. Optics to be determined but will stay with something with objective less than 50mm. Looking for this rig to come in about 8 lbs finished.

Steve

That was the best laugh I've had in a long time, draw a Mt sheep tag, that's hilarious:):)

I just built the rifle you speak of.
I did pierce to action, bolt, firing pin, tally rings, 22" proof barrel. With the original built it was to light under 5lbs and would be impossible to shoot at distance. So I added weight back in things I really wanted. I did a manners eh5 thumbhole but had a hasting ultra light pad put on. Ti action screws. I actual had the same scope also with the same idea turrets and rectical for drop. Ended up going to the bushnell elite 2.5-16 it's only about 2 ounces lighter had mil dot and half the cost. I'm just a bit over 6lbs all done. I went 6.5 because as we all know it's the best thing ever made. Don't believe me ask the sales guys at cabelas or my friend of my friends cousin. Plus it gets great fps out of a short 22" tube. I did the magpull bottom metal because it was plastic and with the mag still very light.

I just built the rifle you speak of.
I did pierce to action, bolt, firing pin, tally rings, 22" proof barrel. With the original built it was to light under 5lbs and would be impossible to shoot at distance. So I added weight back in things I really wanted. I did a manners eh5 thumbhole but had a hasting ultra light pad put on. Ti action screws. I actual had the same scope also with the same idea turrets and rectical for drop. Ended up going to the bushnell elite 2.5-16 it's only about 2 ounces lighter had mil dot and half the cost. I'm just a bit over 6lbs all done. I went 6.5 because as we all know it's the best thing ever made. Don't believe me ask the sales guys at cabelas or my friend of my friends cousin. Plus it gets great fps out of a short 22" tube. I did the magpull bottom metal because it was plastic and with the mag still very light.
What cartridge did you go with?

What scope?

My son is a pro sheep guide and has been all over the world,He Hunts with a 338 Federal, Model 52 Cooper with 200gr Bullets.He killed a blue sheep in Nepal at 497 yards.He loves the rifle.18 inch barrel.

I love the .338 Federal idea!!