Ultimate new hunting rifle build

At 73 years of age I want to build my last rifle. I am looking for something to kill elk size game up to 1200 yards, as I am entertaining a red stag hunt in New Zealand. Due to health issues this will most likely be my final hunt so, in some respects, I consider it a hunt of a lifetime. I have a budget for up to $12K. I don't want under a 6.5mm cal or over a 30. I already have a 300RUM so that is outside of the choices. I want to keep it under 8 lbs.
What caliber would you build if you could build your favorite rifle?
So, let's first look at which action will be the best? What barrel and length? What trigger and pull weight? What magazine? What stock and style? What bipod assembly and mount? What recoil pad? What scope mount? What scope rings? What scope and crosshairs? What type of finish and color? Lastly, what Smith should I use for my build?
Hopefully, after ferreting through your thoughts and suggestions, I will be able to blend as close to the perfect build I can put together. Then see what your thoughts are on what I have chosen to build and who will build it.
Thanking you all in advance!
I would call Mcwhorter custom rifles in Ga. A 7mm stw with a Ti action and a #4 brux barrle should get the weight you desire. I had my dream rifle built by mcwhorter and have been extremely happy with it. The rifle has dropped 625 pound boar, elk, Watusi. The 7mm stw should fit the bill on a trophy red stag. Good luck and I hope you have a great hunting season.

If it's a farming setup, dart them and cut their horns off to save them for next year.
Question, are there ANY free range stags in NZ? I feel like there are but now you've got me concerned.
Yes, there are,they dont often look like the farm animals.Look like picts,that Tikkablk ,posted.There is ample free range that is hard access and hard to hunt.My son had cross artic like river 7 times,waste deep with 50-100 lbs on his back.
IMG_2719.JPG

I would call Mcwhorter custom rifles in Ga. A 7mm stw with a Ti action and a #4 brux barrle should get the weight you desire. I had my dream rifle built by mcwhorter and have been extremely happy with it. The rifle has dropped 625 pound boar, elk, Watusi. The 7mm stw should fit the bill on a trophy red stag. Good luck and I hope you have a great hunting season.
Thanks, sounds like great build. Good Shooting!

There are three types main types of red deer farming, meat where some farmer have elk sire put over red hind to produce a bigger animal for the meat market
Red deer velvet farming for export to China, the smaller stags and yearling hinds go in to market export to Europe.
Red stag trophy farming, this is all about genetics and selective breeding at the highest level for the biggest antlers and most amount of points. A lot of time has gone into these animals good quality food, big paddocks with a low amount of stags in them. When its not the rut you can in walk in the paddocks with them only meters away. All the country's top end stags have names, get there semen milked from them year after year and put in liquid nitrogen for IVF breeding. Then at 7 or 8 years when fully mature it gets sold to the outfitter. Some stags my change hands 5 or 6 times before being shot and each time they change farms they have to learn where each stag is in the hierarchy and a lot of fighting. Dart guns only used by vets if a animal is in trouble.

We have thousands of free range wild deer in New Zealand so many in places that the government has helicopter recovery culling operations. Not that many good heads but still good fun hunting them and they taste great. I normally shoot 50 deer a year without putting a dent in the population and a lot less than I did when I was younger.

At 73 years of age I want to build my last rifle. I am looking for something to kill elk size game up to 1200 yards, as I am entertaining a red stag hunt in New Zealand. Due to health issues this will most likely be my final hunt so, in some respects, I consider it a hunt of a lifetime. I have a budget for up to $12K. I don't want under a 6.5mm cal or over a 30. I already have a 300RUM so that is outside of the choices. I want to keep it under 8 lbs.
What caliber would you build if you could build your favorite rifle?
So, let's first look at which action will be the best? What barrel and length? What trigger and pull weight? What magazine? What stock and style? What bipod assembly and mount? What recoil pad? What scope mount? What scope rings? What scope and crosshairs? What type of finish and color? Lastly, what Smith should I use for my build?
Hopefully, after ferreting through your thoughts and suggestions, I will be able to blend as close to the perfect build I can put together. Then see what your thoughts are on what I have chosen to build and who will build it.
Thanking you all in advance!
I run 7mm rem mag tikka t3x leupold VX-5 4×15×44 CDS muzzle brake Harris bipod I'm in New Zealand to works good 4 me

Trying not to get too political - I love the way current Aussies and NZers try to be so independent - while their parents - actually grandparents - remember how we saved their arses in WWII. My dad was stationed there for a while in WWII - and they absolutely loved all things Yanks back then.
Who told you the US saved our arses in WW2? The Us didn't enter WW2 in Europe until it was almost over and most Kiwis at the time thought the yanks were arrogant pains in the arse. General consensus was "overpaid oversexed and over here". My grandfather was home recovering from wounds and had several brawls with your guys. Won them all too, according to my grandmother,, who should know. You need to re-educate yourself, friend, without believing too much of your own propaganda.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.