Ultimate new hunting rifle build

I have similar criterion to you, except for the dying soon part (I hope). As soon as I feel comfortable spending the cash in the crazy times we are in I am building a 300 PRC to pick up where my 280AI starts running out of steam.

For me it's Manners EH1 - Proof Sendero 26" - Trigger Tech Diamond - Defiance Action - Hinged Floor Plate to save some weight. For me, that's all I want or need and should weigh in nicely for packing around.

I know guys who have hunted there, and you pay by the size of the stag. Save some budget for the monster!

Hello I'm from New Zealand. I deer hunt all year round, it's the rut/roar at the moment here, just in the last 2 weeks before we had the covid19 virus lockdown I spent 14 days hunting red deer hunting and culling goats. For the two trip I got 32 deer and 176 goats on public land. I've shoot my deer with a 223rem than all my other rifles put together. But at the moment I'm only using a 300 blackout and 338 edge for deer.

Rifle wise its all up to you what to use, your spoilt for choice as there are so many top end custom rifle manufacturers there in the USA. All the Safari parks, outfitters and guides have rifles for clients to use, I don't know what they charge though.

One of my best friends has a trophy red stag farm that he sells stags to the safari parks and outfitter, because of the virus lockdown closing the country down and booked in clients cancele, the safari park stags are killing each other. One of the parks has lost over 100 stags and theres still another 3 weeks or more of the roar/rut left to go.

If you do come to the South Island and need a rifle you can use my 338 edge I've shot deer to 909m.

heres some stags my mate grows
49733063198_f7393a8fd5_h.jpg
[/url]

The 338 edge got this the other week a 8 pointer at 682m quartering on he tumbled 15m into the bush.

49699884001_c29964a104_h.jpg

338 edge just smashed this small 8 pointer at 420m
49699879806_938e2ec8d6_h.jpg

This stag I shot with the 300blackout on the run at 111m
49684215347_33c9751837_h.jpg

Here the my long range, a rum rebarreled to a 338 edge, McMillan carbon stock, TriggerTech tigger, T3 Terminator brake and a ATACR 4-16x42 F1 MOAR.
48583225217_eed9b1464f_h.jpg

Last edited:
@Gone Ballistic My name is Caleb Morris, I own a company called Alpha&Omega Rifle and Tool LLC in NW Missouri. I have read your post and not only would I have a few suggestions about building it, it would be a HUGE honor to build you a dream rifle! And hopefully not your last! Pm me and we can talk or call the shop, I will be happy to shut the machines down to visit with you! God bless and hope to hear from you! Shop phone: 660-442-6236

As kiwi in New Zealand, I would welcome you here ,,, There are various trophy's that can be taken Red Deer, Sambar, Fallow, Sika,.,and yes even White-tail. We also have Thar and chamois. All of these animals can be taken with a 7mm Magnum. My main concern would be the importation of any fire-arm at this time. Personally, I don't think our current Govt will allow it. I say this on the grounds that I'm currently trying to import some small fire-arm parts, (Timney trigger, and a Weatherby sling), I have been told by customs that it probably wont happen. They wouldn't give me a straight answer, but seizure at the border was highly likely. I am a member of a Hunting club here in N.Z. and I have noted that most members here use 7mm, it appears to be a very popular caliber.
Happy hunting,

My wife and I love NZ. It's very sad to observe what's been done to the citizens' basic rights. Hopefully, the next election can right some of these wrongs.

I am building three rifles right now for myself and three hunting buddies for a similar purpose. We are close to pulling the trigger on 300 PRC (or Rich's Sherman Mag/improved version). We have MRC actions. They will be Rock Creek or Bartlein barrels. Two will be the composite Montana stocks with mine a custom English walnut as I'm a sucker for pretty wood. Targeting 10lbs ready to hunt. In that budget and what I plan to run is a March 3-24x52 scope. The RUM you already have is really close to that so the PRC would be a bit redundant. A 7mm would be a better addition unless you just want the new rifle which I totally respect. I haven't gotten through all the posts here. I don't know why there always has to be the drama on what could otherwise be a health discussion.

Hello I'm from New Zealand. I deer hunt all year round, it's the rut/roar at the moment here, just in the last 2 weeks before we had the covid19 virus lockdown I spent 14 days hunting red deer hunting and culling goats. For the two trip I got 32 deer and 176 goats on public land. I've shoot my deer with a 223rem than all my other rifles put together. But at the moment I'm only using a 300 blackout and 338 edge for deer.

Rifle wise its all up to you what to use, your spoilt for choice as there are so many top end custom rifle manufacturers there in the USA. All the Safari parks, outfitters and guides have rifles for clients to use, I don't know what they charge though.

One of my best friends has a trophy red stag farm that he sells stags to the safari parks and outfitter, because of the virus lockdown closing the country down and booked in clients cancele, the safari park stags are killing each other. One of the parks has lost over 100 stags and theres still another 3 weeks or more of the roar/rut left to go.

If you do come to the South Island and need a rifle you can use my 338 edge I've shot deer to 909m.

[/url]

The 338 edge got this the other week a 8 pointer at 682m quartering on he tumbled 15m into the bush.

Here the my long range, a rum rebarreled to a 338 edge, McMillan carbon stock, TriggerTech tigger, T3 Terminator brake and a ATACR 4-16x42 F1 MOAR.
Are stags fighting to the death during the rut? I have hunted elk in Idaho for 35 years and the fighting bulls quit after a bit and one runs off. I like you offer especially since I have always wanted to visit. Cheers 🍻

With your budget and situation I would look at Gunwerks because they are not selling rifles they sell solutions to a problem. They also guarantee the product and their market is more towards rich people which means you get outstanding service (rich people tend to be very demanding). Think about it this way, almost everyone can build a car that can compete with a Corvette or Mustang but only a very few can build a dream like Ferrari or Koenigsegg.
I am not money rich by any means, just trying to fulfill the number one thing on my bucket list before I go.

@Gone Ballistic My name is Caleb Morris, I own a company called Alpha&Omega Rifle and Tool LLC in NW Missouri. I have read your post and not only would I have a few suggestions about building it, it would be a HUGE honor to build you a dream rifle! And hopefully not your last! Pm me and we can talk or call the shop, I will be happy to shut the machines down to visit with you! God bless and hope to hear from you! Shop phone: 660-442-6236
Caleb, please post your recommendations

As kiwi in New Zealand, I would welcome you here ,,, There are various trophy's that can be taken Red Deer, Sambar, Fallow, Sika,.,and yes even White-tail. We also have Thar and chamois. All of these animals can be taken with a 7mm Magnum. My main concern would be the importation of any fire-arm at this time. Personally, I don't think our current Govt will allow it. I say this on the grounds that I'm currently trying to import some small fire-arm parts, (Timney trigger, and a Weatherby sling), I have been told by customs that it probably wont happen. They wouldn't give me a straight answer, but seizure at the border was highly likely. I am a member of a Hunting club here in N.Z. and I have noted that most members here use 7mm, it appears to be a very popular caliber.
Happy hunting,
Thanks, that is what I am being told. Appreciate your advice and comments. Cheers!

Hi Ranger Rick,
yes fighting to death with 20 to 100 stags in a paddock, 2 stags be locked up together fighting and the third stag will come in a stab one of the two in the guts. I happens a lot and with no overseas clients coming in to shoot them there's not enough room in the paddock for high testosterone stags rutting.

Hello Ballistic and thanks for the challenge. I would choose the 300 PRC caliber with this build: a Lone Peak Razor Ti titanium action. It is set up for a Wyatt's extended magazine for the 300 PRC magazine kit and is tapped for 8-40 screws for an Era-TAC aluminum Picatinny base. Seekins aluminum rings with their strong cross members are solid with this base. I have a 26" Proof carbon fiber barrel on my 300 PRC and it shoots phenomenally. A 24" is easier to handle. My favorite trigger is the TriggerTech Rem 700 Special set at 2.5 - 2.75#. AG Composites, McMillan and Manners all make "custom" CAD carbon fiber stocks to match your action, bottom metal and barrel contour. I like the AG Visigoth with its Monte Carlo cheek weld. Many colors. I chose their Carbon Bronze Camo pattern. The stock comes with a recoil pad. If it did not, I'd choose a Limbsaver Recoil Air. I sight in my rifles with either an extra slip on recoil pan or a recoil shoulder shield. For hunting, I prefer the BDL hinge plate over an exposed DBM magazine (your call). I really like the quality of Hawkins Precision M5 Oberndorf bottom metal. I use a Harris bipod with a sling stud mount. At the range I've seen and used a Cadex Falcon Lite Carbon fiber bipod with a Quick Release system to a chassis system. On a hunting rifle, I'd recommend a 3" Picatinny rail. You have great Nightforce optics for going way out there. My favorite hunting scope is the Leupold VX-5HD CDS 3-15x44 scope with the Firedot illuminated reticle. With a quality rangefinder and the CDS turret designed specifically for your ammo, it's a winning system. I'd ask around Lewiston for highly recommended gunsmiths. The best in Boise, George Vais, move back to Greece. I've heard high recommendations for Darrel Holland of Powers, Oregon. As a bonus, check out Safari Slings for you rifle. They are a great hunting sling. You should be under 8#, so I use a Little Bastard Gen 2 muzzle brake with Pro Ear Gold hearing protection. If Idaho allowed them, I would try a suppressor.
Given the issues stated above about travelling to NZ for hunting with your own rifle, I'd be extra cautious. I liked hunting around Orofino and outside of Moscow when I went to the U of I. Cheers to good health and good hunting from a 68 year old who's also feeling my age.
Darrell Holland has built two rifles for me and also has worked on my trap guns. I haven't heard anything about him for the past few years. I have a farm in Orofino and a home in southern Idaho I spend my winter so I know quite a few gunsmiths but have a bucket list I am trying my darndest to fulfill. Thanks for your great advice.

[/url]

You're quite the guy. Thank you for your generous offer and great pictures of your hunting experience and rifle builds. In 1970 I went fishing for brown trout on the South Island accompanying an old gentleman friend who took me there with him on the trip. I remember hearing the loud roaring noise that made the hairs stand up on my body thinking it was coming from huge bears only to find out it was the stags in rut.
Thanks again and, God willing, I might be taking you up on your offer!

I have similar criterion to you, except for the dying soon part (I hope). As soon as I feel comfortable spending the cash in the crazy times we are in I am building a 300 PRC to pick up where my 280AI starts running out of steam.

For me it's Manners EH1 - Proof Sendero 26" - Trigger Tech Diamond - Defiance Action - Hinged Floor Plate to save some weight. For me, that's all I want or need and should weigh in nicely for packing around.
Thanks and I like the sound of it!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.