Ultimate new hunting rifle build

Let's see where to start.....
Lone Peak Titanium receiver,
#4 profile barrel (personal preference is Lilja or Hart) 6 flutes in the barrel for weight savings
Holland makes a great brake. I would look into Vais muzzle brakes as well. just something to keep the muzzle from flipping up on you for faster back up shots.
run a Chet Brown "Pounder" Kevlar stock
Talley one piece base and rings
I would run a 5.5-22X50MM or 3-15X50MM Night Force, Leupold VX-5 HD, or S&B scope
I like Harris Bi-pods, but people have other ideas with walking sticks that are shooting sticks. your choice.
I would most likely armor's kote or cera kote the rifle
the recoil pad I would use is a Kick-eeze 500 series magnum. I personally like the 1-3/8"
now the challenge and the personal preference for caliber. I do not like 7MM, I do not like 6.5MM if you do then I would most likely go with a 7 R/M or a 264 Win Mag. both are tried and true performers. to tie into the barrel the 7MM would have to be a 1:8" or 1:7" twist barrel for the heavier slugs for the 6.5 I would most likely do the same. but with a 156 Grain limit I would not use the 6.5 MM for elk past 800 yards. which brings us to my calibers of choice 270, 300, and 338. since 338 is out of your specs then we can forget that one. the 300 I would suggest is either the 300 Win, or the 308 Norma. if you go 300 WSM it might not have enough speed to go to 1,400 yards. I love the Win Short Mags but the 300 is just something I am not real up to date on. as always use a 1:8" twist barrel so you can use the 200 to 240 grain slugs.
now the 270's: 270 WSM, 27 Nosler, 277 H-mag, or wildcat for your cartridge. I would use a fast twist barrel like a 1:8" or 1:7". Berger has some really excellent VLD heavy slugs for the 0.277" slugs.
lastly, don't build a rifle for you hunt of a lifetime, build a rifle to hunt with the rest of your life. I am working on a 338 Win Mag build as an all around versatile rifle that I will keep the rest of my life. I am using a Win 70 action, 1:8" twist for 300 grain slugs, #5 profile barrel with deep flutes for weight savings and rigidity, muzzle brake for fun, 5-25 Leupold VX-5HD scope with a #58 reticle, Jewell trigger or stock trigger, I have not nailed down the stock yet. but I have friends that might want to follow my pattern for this gun.
have a great time reading all the suggestions and I hope that your rifle is never dusty. I hope it is always by your side and I hope you walk with it your hands for many years to come.

At 73 years of age I want to build my last rifle. I am looking for something to kill elk size game up to 1200 yards, as I am entertaining a red stag hunt in New Zealand. Due to health issues this will most likely be my final hunt so, in some respects, I consider it a hunt of a lifetime. I have a budget for up to $12K. I don't want under a 6.5mm cal or over a 30. I already have a 300RUM so that is outside of the choices. I want to keep it under 8 lbs.
What caliber would you build if you could build your favorite rifle?
So, let's first look at which action will be the best? What barrel and length? What trigger and pull weight? What magazine? What stock and style? What bipod assembly and mount? What recoil pad? What scope mount? What scope rings? What scope and crosshairs? What type of finish and color? Lastly, what Smith should I use for my build?
Hopefully, after ferreting through your thoughts and suggestions, I will be able to blend as close to the perfect build I can put together. Then see what your thoughts are on what I have chosen to build and who will build it.
Thanking you all in advance!
I just use my 260 Remington. But I reload. If you don't reload go with the new 6.5 PRC if you want the latest and greatest. But if you want tried and true just get a 7 Rem Mag. Shoot the 168 grain HSM ammo with the Berger VLDs.

My vote: Nosler 28 custom throated for the Berger 195 EOL. Over 1200ftlb of energy at 1200 yards. I built mine on a RazorTi action with a Carbon fiber barrel with a good muzzlebreak. Rifle is super light which allowed me to put higher end optics and keep the rifle in the 7-8lb range. I built this as my do all rifle for everything except dangerous game.

Sounds like you just WANT a new rifle for this hunt, and I totally get that. I'm a gun-aholic, so I don't judge. Since you already have a 300 RUM (which would have been my caliber suggestion), I'd look heavily at a 28 Nosler or 7 STW ( pretty much ballistic twins). I own a 7 STW and it's become my favorite and I pull it out of the safe more often. Great bullet selection, plenty of available brass, and will meet your ballistic requirements.
McWhorter builds an excellent rifle and they do load development for it when they finish the build. You can choose which bullet you want them to use.They like Berger's, but will do what you want. I have a buddy that owns 2 of their rifles. I've shot them many times. Well balanced and nicely finished. Great attention to details. Their rifles will come in well below your budget.
As far as optics go, boy that's a tough one. I own NF (ATACR & NXS), Swarovski, Zeiss and Leupold. They're all excellent. I have a NF NXS on my 7 STW, and think it's a perfect match. The ATACR was too heavy and made the rifle unbalanced, so I put iit on my 338 which was a marriage made in heaven. The Zeiss V6 is crystal clear and a great scope, but the turret markings are small and getting tougher to read as I get older. For that reason, I'd suggest either a NF or the Swaro X5.
Good luck with the build/purchase. I'm sure we'd all love to know what you end up with and would like to see the final product, so post photos when it's all done.

At 73 years of age I want to build my last rifle. I am looking for something to kill elk size game up to 1200 yards, as I am entertaining a red stag hunt in New Zealand. Due to health issues this will most likely be my final hunt so, in some respects, I consider it a hunt of a lifetime. I have a budget for up to $12K. I don't want under a 6.5mm cal or over a 30. I already have a 300RUM so that is outside of the choices. I want to keep it under 8 lbs.
What caliber would you build if you could build your favorite rifle?
So, let's first look at which action will be the best? What barrel and length? What trigger and pull weight? What magazine? What stock and style? What bipod assembly and mount? What recoil pad? What scope mount? What scope rings? What scope and crosshairs? What type of finish and color? Lastly, what Smith should I use for my build?
Hopefully, after ferreting through your thoughts and suggestions, I will be able to blend as close to the perfect build I can put together. Then see what your thoughts are on what I have chosen to build and who will build it.
Thanking you all in advance!
Are you wanting it to be under 8 pounds ready to hunt ( scoped, sling installed, and loaded)?

Yes and I also know how much it takes to kill an elk at 1318 yards, even make two 30 cal. hits at 3500 yards. I would not entertain less than a 7mm but others creatively with their favorite build might have other things to look at besides caliber. You are mistaken on needing a. 338 Lapua when a 7mm Remington Magnum has taken hundreds of elk at distances farther than that. It's all in the amount of energy your bullet creates at yardage that minimally gives 1500lbs of kinetic energy.
I am curious to know how to get 1500lbs of kinetic energy from a 7mm rem mag at 1200yds?

I think there is many good calibers in 7mm and 30.
I would go with what I have all component easy available(for reloading like cases) so I always look what cases have norma or lapua (I am from Croatia) and go with that.
For blaser I can not more disagre that is good option.
In my experience it is so bad rifle and I can tell my experience in another thread if neded.
Blaser is out of the equation. Appreciate your advice. Thanks!

Let's see where to start.....
Lone Peak Titanium receiver,
#4 profile barrel (personal preference is Lilja or Hart) 6 flutes in the barrel for weight savings
Holland makes a great brake. I would look into Vais muzzle brakes as well. just something to keep the muzzle from flipping up on you for faster back up shots.
run a Chet Brown "Pounder" Kevlar stock
Talley one piece base and rings
I would run a 5.5-22X50MM or 3-15X50MM Night Force, Leupold VX-5 HD, or S&B scope
I like Harris Bi-pods, but people have other ideas with walking sticks that are shooting sticks. your choice.
I would most likely armor's kote or cera kote the rifle
the recoil pad I would use is a Kick-eeze 500 series magnum. I personally like the 1-3/8"
now the challenge and the personal preference for caliber. I do not like 7MM, I do not like 6.5MM if you do then I would most likely go with a 7 R/M or a 264 Win Mag. both are tried and true performers. to tie into the barrel the 7MM would have to be a 1:8" or 1:7" twist barrel for the heavier slugs for the 6.5 I would most likely do the same. but with a 156 Grain limit I would not use the 6.5 MM for elk past 800 yards. which brings us to my calibers of choice 270, 300, and 338. since 338 is out of your specs then we can forget that one. the 300 I would suggest is either the 300 Win, or the 308 Norma. if you go 300 WSM it might not have enough speed to go to 1,400 yards. I love the Win Short Mags but the 300 is just something I am not real up to date on. as always use a 1:8" twist barrel so you can use the 200 to 240 grain slugs.
now the 270's: 270 WSM, 27 Nosler, 277 H-mag, or wildcat for your cartridge. I would use a fast twist barrel like a 1:8" or 1:7". Berger has some really excellent VLD heavy slugs for the 0.277" slugs.
lastly, don't build a rifle for you hunt of a lifetime, build a rifle to hunt with the rest of your life. I am working on a 338 Win Mag build as an all around versatile rifle that I will keep the rest of my life. I am using a Win 70 action, 1:8" twist for 300 grain slugs, #5 profile barrel with deep flutes for weight savings and rigidity, muzzle brake for fun, 5-25 Leupold VX-5HD scope with a #58 reticle, Jewell trigger or stock trigger, I have not nailed down the stock yet. but I have friends that might want to follow my pattern for this gun.
have a great time reading all the suggestions and I hope that your rifle is never dusty. I hope it is always by your side and I hope you walk with it your hands for many years to come.
Great ideas and thanks so much for your comments and suggestions!

@Gone Ballistic you need to speak with @Caleb85. That guy has built me two dream rifles. He'll get you out to 1200 yards easy with his rifles. They are also works of art. You won't be disappointed.

Also, I hope and pray that you can build many more rifles in your lifetime!

Here's my suggestions as well...sky's the limit...so

.338 Rum
Defiance deviant with built in 20 MOA rail
Manners TA elite tactical with mini chassis
Bartlien number 5 light spiral flutes, 26 inch, SS, 1:9.5
Trigger Tech
Seekins rings
Kahles 525I 5-25

Color scheme matte black metal and some sexy camo color on the stock. Because I'm boring like that.

Here is my view on the subject regarding the travel to nz to start with:
When traveling abroad for hunting , you want to have a rifle in a common caliber with ammunitions easy to find on the shelf. Because if your separate luggage containing the ammo are stuck somewhere or in transit that rwill uin your hunt . So no fancy wildcats caliber or rare caliber( in nz) like the Nosler ones. The following:7 rem mag,300win mag and 300wsm are common to find in New Zealand gun shops including the Hornady precision hunter line of cartridges. Your hunting distances will be reasonably short ( certainly below 500m) so these three rounds will perform well for the conditions and the animals you will chase in NZ. If you are going to bring your own reloads, make sure to test the feeding of every single round in your rifle prior to departure so as to ensure no nasty surprises when you arrive. Second thing: I think that if you are going on the last trip of your lifetime,it is imperative to have a second scope ( it can be a slightly smaller and cheaper one but with a similar balistic turret graduation or system ) onto a reliable and repeating mounting system pre sighted in. The blaser mount works well as well as the picatinny mount. So if your primary scope fails, you have a second one to replace it and that can be zero checked with just a few rounds. Regarding going to NZ with your rifle, as mention before, you need to be well prepared in advance with your outfitter who will sponsor you for getting your firearm visitor 's permit . Getting in at the Auckland or Christchurch airport with a rifle used to be a straight forward formality, but with the government anti gun agenda of late, a few people got there firearms stuck at the airport police station recently. The situation got sorted out at the end in some cases but with lengthy phone calls to the relevant people at the Wellington police headquarters. There are elections in September that will hopefully will remove the current anti gun government in place and make things easier .
And hopefully also, the borders will reopen for tourists to come in with out too lengthy quarantine periods.
With your budget , you could easily get a second barrel chamberd in a more powerful or exotic round (like the 300 ultra mag) for your elk shooting at long range. If you choose to go that way, you can go with the blaser system ( although I don't think they offer that particular clambering on their catalog) or a custom action with switch barrels . If you go that way, it is easier to have an action with a fix recoil lug . Defiance, lone peak , terminus ...etc would work well. It is preferable that the gunsmith who does your work do fit the two barrels in your action and help you to get a small barrel bench wise ( I think Sinclair makes one) and wrench for when you want to change from one to the other. Good luck your project.

My vote: Nosler 28 custom throated for the Berger 195 EOL. Over 1200ftlb of energy at 1200 yards. I built mine on a RazorTi action with a Carbon fiber barrel with a good muzzlebreak. Rifle is super light which allowed me to put higher end optics and keep the rifle in the 7-8lb range. I built this as my do all rifle for everything except dangerous game.
You're right on point with my thinking. I really like the look of the Razor Ti action and feel carbon fiber is a great option. I'm amazed by the progression of barrel manufacturers. Hart, Shilen and Lothor Walther used to be tops but now Proof is what I am hearing is best today. They make a great looking carbon fiber barrel I would like anyone who has one to let me know what they think about them.
Thanks for your insights!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.