Ultimate new hunting rifle build

T
Not sure what U are referring ?

Did the quote not show up in my last post? They asked a question about knowing what it takes to kill an elk at 1200yds and made mention of 6.5mm calibers. Just wondering if those were in reference to my post or in response to the original post.

T

Did the quote not show up in my last post? They asked a question about knowing what it takes to kill an elk at 1200yds and made mention of 6.5mm calibers. Just wondering if those were in reference to my post or in response to the original post.
No idea my friend

First--I'm just a couple of years younger, so I understand where you're coming from. I wish I had your build budget, but maybe if I wasn't doing things like planning for my 5th trip to SA next year, I would have. Unfortunately I just had to postpone my trip to NZ I was supposed to leave for in two weeks. I had planned it and had dates set for two years. It was also planned to help celebrate our 50th anniversary, and I had booked an additional 3 weeks of travel in the North and South Islands. That's something you might want to consider. Make certain you apply for your entry permit at least 120 days prior to departure, and that you have proof of its approval with you.

Unfortunately there are many changes in gun regulations going on in NZ which you need to keep abreast of. Confiscation of some firearms by the police has already been reported, and there are indications that it's just the first wave. I had planned on carrying my rifle with me, but new regulations make traveling with a rifle as a non Kiwi almost impossible. My outfitter was adamant that I not do so, in case we were stopped by the police while driving, or if we incurred problems bringing the gun into lodging/leaving it in the hotel/car.

An additional note--make sure your boots are pristine clean--you'll have to have them on top of your gear, as they will be checked, hauled out and dipped in chemicals to prevent you carrying in organisms/foreign matter into the country. Have a plastic bag ready to put them in after the treatment.

As for guns--sorry, not a custom gun guy. But years of experience shooting out to the high 400's with a 300WinMag makes me an advocate of that round. At SCI I've talk to the Gun Works and Best of the West guys and have learned a few things. One--if you want to shoot that far--take a resident course. Two--although they show the 700-1000 yard shots on TV, those guys rarely if ever let the school clients do it. When in the field they always have spotters and use radios to help locate the game shot at those distances. The owner of one of the shooting schools that includes a hunt told me he has a test for students who want to hunt at ranges beyond 500 yards. He takes them to a place that has plates at various unmarked distances and gives them one bullet. He picks the plate to shoot at. If they can hit it on the first shot, they can pick their hunting distance. To date only one client has met his test.

Good luck, I hope things go well. If you know the outfitter you want in 2021, you best book now as all this year's and next year's clients are having to be accommodated in 2021, and things there are a mess.

Sorry about your trip. Sadly, lots of trips for this year being cancelled. I just had to cancel a bird-hunting trip to Argentina.

Have been to NZ for work and non-hunting vacation. Wonderful place. Have always wanted to hunt there, but the situation has changed drastically recently based on conversations with outfitters at the most recent SCI in Reno.

First--I'm just a couple of years younger, so I understand where you're coming from. I wish I had your build budget, but maybe if I wasn't doing things like planning for my 5th trip to SA next year, I would have. Unfortunately I just had to postpone my trip to NZ I was supposed to leave for in two weeks. I had planned it and had dates set for two years. It was also planned to help celebrate our 50th anniversary, and I had booked an additional 3 weeks of travel in the North and South Islands. That's something you might want to consider. Make certain you apply for your entry permit at least 120 days prior to departure, and that you have proof of its approval with you.

Unfortunately there are many changes in gun regulations going on in NZ which you need to keep abreast of. Confiscation of some firearms by the police has already been reported, and there are indications that it's just the first wave. I had planned on carrying my rifle with me, but new regulations make traveling with a rifle as a non Kiwi almost impossible. My outfitter was adamant that I not do so, in case we were stopped by the police while driving, or if we incurred problems bringing the gun into lodging/leaving it in the hotel/car.

An additional note--make sure your boots are pristine clean--you'll have to have them on top of your gear, as they will be checked, hauled out and dipped in chemicals to prevent you carrying in organisms/foreign matter into the country. Have a plastic bag ready to put them in after the treatment.

As for guns--sorry, not a custom gun guy. But years of experience shooting out to the high 400's with a 300WinMag makes me an advocate of that round. At SCI I've talk to the Gun Works and Best of the West guys and have learned a few things. One--if you want to shoot that far--take a resident course. Two--although they show the 700-1000 yard shots on TV, those guys rarely if ever let the school clients do it. When in the field they always have spotters and use radios to help locate the game shot at those distances. The owner of one of the shooting schools that includes a hunt told me he has a test for students who want to hunt at ranges beyond 500 yards. He takes them to a place that has plates at various unmarked distances and gives them one bullet. He picks the plate to shoot at. If they can hit it on the first shot, they can pick their hunting distance. To date only one client has met his test.

Good luck, I hope things go well. If you know the outfitter you want in 2021, you best book now as all this year's and next year's clients are having to be accommodated in 2021, and things there are a mess.
Thanks for your reply and information. The outfitter I have been dealing with expressed elevations, pressure and other details I should sight a rifle in to simulate shooting there. It appears that New Zealand is following suit with what Australia did and carrying it to a higher level. They have a dim view of hunting there by foreigners as well as a strong anti gun movement. He said that it is a difficult time for outfitters there because they never organized. It concerns me if it will be able to happen after all my years of saving up money to achieve it. This world is going to hell in a basket as I just was told they are stopping anyone who is bringing in a firearm and confiscating it. Doing background checks that takes weeks. Effectively destroying a hunt.

Last edited:
I am building my dream hunting rifle. I did not choose to build a 1200 yd rifle at 8lbs. I believe an 8lb 1200 yd rifle to be an impossibility.

I am building a rifle to take all non-threatening game in Nort America....Elk, Moose, Deer, Antelope, etc. I would like to be able to take them as far as is reasonably possible in a walking weight rifle..~8-9lbs. Probably 600 yards max.

Action: I chose a model 70 as a base action. It is a matured Mauser design of modern materials and manufacturing. Quality gunsmiths have turned Model 70's into amazing tools and works of art. It has a jeweled bolt and a knob in a good location. It could be checkered a bit better, so I will discuss that with my gunsmith. It is about the smoothest action design. That is important to me. It has a good ejector and extractor design. I added PTG aluminum Obendorf latch bottom metal to reduce weight and simplify the bottom metal.

Trigger: Trigger choices are limited, but there are a Timney, Jewel and improving stock as options. I use the a Timney set to 2.25lbs. It is smooth, crisp and without overtravel. I really can't ask for a better hunting trigger. I can adjust, if needed. I will lock down settings at some point.

Barrel: I chose a Brux #3 24" in 300 Sherman...why Brux? Lead time, price and quality. Brux is a sibiling barrel maker of the Obermeyer family....good stuff. Brux has better lead time...about 3 mo...not bad. Why 24"? 24" gives me near magnum velocity and is only slightly slower than 26". No muzzle brake for me hunting.

Stock: This was hard to choose....my hardest choice. I knew I wanted something similar to a supergrade Winchester shape, but composite and stiff. Then I spoke to a gunsmith who was really enamored by stiff stocks and bedding blocks. I talked to the guy who will put this one together and he specifically thought Bell & Carlson made a good stock. I do wish they had better colors, but tan & black works for me. Gonna need the gunsmith to professionally install flush cups. Might get an ARCA rail mounted to threaded inserts too...not sure, but I like that idea.

Optic: Bushnell Nitro 4-16x44 in a Warne Mount....I'm not a fan of the optic, but I wanted a light ffp Christmas tree reticle with capped turrets....are there others? I like it. Mounts are QD and Warne is proven to me. I thought Talley, but Talley cannot support my open sight plan.

Open Sights: Yes, these are critical to me. I need a BUIS on the rifle. I need this because I travel to hunt. Optics can and do flake out. Irons usually do not. Plus, if I were looking for a grizzly that went into the thick stuff, I want irons! So, I'm putting NECG red fiber optics up front in a banded hood. A rear peep was selected because I can shoot farther with a peep. Still figuring out the details, but I'm planning a short pic rail to hold the rear peep when not in use.

Extras: Whidden bushing dies, some kind of premium sling...maybe from TIS

Hmmm...Still working on details while Brux makes my pipe!

If I need to go 1200 yards, I have a 15lb chassis rifle in 300 WSM....I'd go there. 15lbs is easier to shoot.
I have a 300RUM custom built that shoots lights out for extreme long ranges. While I have no intention to shoot any animal with this new build at 1200 yards, I want it to be capable of reaching that mark with proper bagging and supporting of it.
I'm very impressed by your build and hunts coming ahead. Would love to see the completed build. Appreciate your reply and information as I consider this build. Thanks!

Contact Travis at TS Customs and enjoy the build process. McMillan, Hawkins rings and bottom metal, Impact or Lonepeak titanium, trigger tech trigger. 7 saum or 300 win.

Thanks for your reply and information. The outfitter I have been dealing with expressed elevations, pressure and other details I should sight a rifle in to simulate shooting there. It appears that New Zealand is following suit with what Australia did and carrying it to a higher level. They have a dim view of hunting there by foreigners as well as a strong anti gun movement. He said that it is a difficult time for outfitters there because they never organized. It concerns me if it will be able to happen after all my years of saving up money to achieve it.
Trying not to get too political - I love the way current Aussies and NZers try to be so independent - while their parents - actually grandparents - remember how we saved their arses in WWII. My dad was stationed there for a while in WWII - and they absolutely loved all things Yanks back then.

My Son had HS Precision build him a rifle in 300 PRC.I am very impressed with their work and how accurate the rifle is to 1,000 yards.That is the longest range we have around here.It took around 6 months to get the build.I had Randy Gregory build me a custom rifle in 6MM Creedmoor That shoots in the 2s.I am sure a better shooter then me could get more out of the rifle.Call him up and explain what you want.You will not be disappointed.He is a 1 man shop so expect at least a 6 month wait.Here is a link: http://www.accuracyunlimited.com

Last edited:
Sounds like you just WANT a new rifle for this hunt, and I totally get that. I'm a gun-aholic, so I don't judge. Since you already have a 300 RUM (which would have been my caliber suggestion), I'd look heavily at a 28 Nosler or 7 STW ( pretty much ballistic twins). I own a 7 STW and it's become my favorite and I pull it out of the safe more often. Great bullet selection, plenty of available brass, and will meet your ballistic requirements.
McWhorter builds an excellent rifle and they do load development for it when they finish the build. You can choose which bullet you want them to use.They like Berger's, but will do what you want. I have a buddy that owns 2 of their rifles. I've shot them many times. Well balanced and nicely finished. Great attention to details. Their rifles will come in well below your budget.
As far as optics go, boy that's a tough one. I own NF (ATACR & NXS), Swarovski, Zeiss and Leupold. They're all excellent. I have a NF NXS on my 7 STW, and think it's a perfect match. The ATACR was too heavy and made the rifle unbalanced, so I put iit on my 338 which was a marriage made in heaven. The Zeiss V6 is crystal clear and a great scope, but the turret markings are small and getting tougher to read as I get older. For that reason, I'd suggest either a NF or the Swaro X5.
Good luck with the build/purchase. I'm sure we'd all love to know what you end up with and would like to see the final product, so post photos when it's all done.

Do you know the energy required for a clean effective kill at 1200yrds?
Its a lot different to hitting steel!!

I know a lot of you guys one here are well versed in this sort of thing as far as knowing the knock down power at those distances but an Elk if a pretty big animal & I my thoughts are something that would retain a lot of energy like .338 Lapua?
I wouldn't even entertain the idea of a 6.5 doing the job at that distance, most of them excluding say the 6.5x284 are nearing the subsonic realm about then.
People kill elk with an arrow all the time. How much energy you think it produces?
While im not arguing with your theory because I naturally think the same way I would like to add that a 160 grain matrix with a mv of say 3300 is more than enough for all at 1200. Heck seen an Elk taken at 1714 with a berger140vld. Did it get knocked over from the hit...of course not. But it went clean through both lungs as well as any arrow ever could.
The Elk actually continued to feed for a couple minutes then laid down. We knew he was hit in the lungs as we could see the impact. By the time we got there he had expired.
I dont feel this is any less ethical then bow hunting.
Same rules apply. Shot placement is critical.
But to your point yes a fifty cal will most certainly do more damage on impact than a 6.5.

Lane Precision Rifles. Dallas can answer all of your questions and recommend something that will fit your needs.

I would also look at Piercision Rifles too. Ryan Pierce is well known as what he can do with a 300 Norma Mag Improved and the 28 Nosler.

Between these two guys I feel confident they can get you what you want and a lot less than 12 K.

Good luck and I hope you have a lot more hunts left in the tank.

I second that suggestion. You can find both of them on FB to look at some of their builds.

Dallas Lane

Ryan Pierce

I have 2 rifles from Dallas and he does excellent work. Ryan builds excellent rifles as well. I have talked to him about doing a 30-28 which might fit your cartridge request nicely. One thing I didn't notice was if you were against using a wildcat like the 30-28?
I do have to agree with others that keeping this rifle under 8lbs might be a little difficult while still making it enjoyable to shoot. A NF scope will be over 2lbs and even a VX6HD is 1.6lbs. Doesn't leave much for a 1200 yard capable rifle.

I think there is many good calibers in 7mm and 30.
I would go with what I have all component easy available(for reloading like cases) so I always look what cases have norma or lapua (I am from Croatia) and go with that.
For blaser I can not more disagre that is good option.
In my experience it is so bad rifle and I can tell my experience in another thread if neded.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.