Ultimate Long Range Coyote Rifle

I thought about this some today because the question is a dang good one. You are really looking for the best rifle that can shoot fast and flat and still give you the best chance at a 1000 yard coyote. In other words the best all around gun for varmints. I have the fastest shooting wildcats in every caliber in my arsenal and thinking your situation what would I choose. First I looked at every caliber considering noise, recoil, cost to shoot a lot at varmints and a lot of other things. Basically as you go up and down the calibers equal ballistic coefficients max out at about the same velocity no matter which caliber you choose. There are a few in there that can give you a little edge in 6mm, 264 and 338. You don't need a big caliber to kill coyotes and the smaller calibers are the easiest to load for, cheapest to shoot with little recoil and noise. And on average the most accurate. The hot 22 cals I eliminated because not enough BC/velocity ratio for what you need out to a thousand.

After all was considered I narrowed it down to 6mm and 264. Then I looked at the hottest 6mm 's and 264's available. The hottest 264 I have done is the 264 STW. Any bigger and just not much improvement. I think that size case about max's out the 264. It shoots a 140 grain bullet 3435 fps and a 120 BT right at 3700 fps. This would do the trick but you would probably want a brake on it and it would be expensive to reload. I couldn't see shooting this big a gun in your situation.

Then I looked at the hottest 6mm rifles I have ever done. The blown out 30-06 case is about where the 6mm maxes out. I tried the 280 case with the JRS design with no improvement. The 240 gibbs is the fastest 6mm I have ever done that is extremely accurate shooting the 107 matchking over 3500 fps. It is cheap and easy to reload for with little recoil and noise compared to the larger calibers. It has super flat trajectory up close making all those shots easy plus the ability to easily get out to 1000 yards. Mine shoots exceptional groups at 1000 yards with the 107 matchking.

If I were going out in the morning to do what you do I would pick up my 240 Gibbs above all others. It offers the best BC/velocity ratio of anything I looked at that made a sensible low cost easily loaded varmint round.

Great comments! This looks to be just a little faster that the 240 Weatherby, what advantages would there be to the Gibbs would you say?

I posted my 240 wby loads and 240 giibs loads along with some others somewhere on here the other day. Must have been on the hot 6mm thread or something. I have a 240 wby and Gibbs set up virtually identical with Hart barrels and .270 tight necks. Neither have freebore. The Gibbs is a little faster but they are very close so makes not much difference there. The primary reason for not going with the wby is the cost of the brass. You can get some really good '06 brass much cheaper than the wby brass that would also last longer than the wby brass. Also I have rarely bought brass for my gibbs because I pick up all I want at the range free. I have probably 2000 once fired '06 cases that I picked up free at the range. I am running the gibbs reamer in my wby when the last of the brass is shot for it for that reason. wby brass just had a huge cost increase just before christmas. Both are one hole rifles at a 100 yards and will hold 1 inch groups at 300 yards. You can't make the 240 wby out of anything else so you must buy the expensive brass. All wby's except the 240 and 378 case can be made out of other cheaper brass.

Why not learn how to speak coyote, about 95% can be called into 50yrd range providing you know how to work the wind and talk there talk. Vern Dorn could just about get any coyote punch drunk with in 30 yards. Then drop the hammer, but there is a system and know how. The rage with all this coyote calling is total BS, like Zink a duck call maker saying he makes the baddest coyote calls.

When I say a system I am talking about an order to shoot them and not the first one that swings by. Last winter I was in TX hunting Nilgi and we went coyote hunting with the game manager. He cut loose on a Tally Hoo and then a Critter call. if those coyotes could talk they would have told him what brand call he had. So we went to another area and gave them something they never heard from a human and dropped 5 in a stand. All while the gun was going off they kept comming in. You need to learn the order of the shots, where to shoot them and read them.

No dying rabbit and challenge call is going to do it.

Bill Austen who was a bummbling drunk took what Dorn showed him and wrote about it. Vern regretted it until his passing. All you need is a mylar reed and a castration rubber band to make a call. Hell look at Randy anderson he can not call to save his life.
There's one material to make a barrel from and the guy who makes them sells about 5 a year. He's an ADC man that calls in more coyotes a week than most of these blow hards do in 2 years. But you don't see the great callers going to some compition since they do it day in day out. But if you were to run into the few men that can call you'd feel like Johnny holmes just got done and they needed 2 mins of fill in time.

Any caller that goes out with a closed reed call has handi capped themselves right from the start. Lets face it any dog toy can be taken apart and made into a closed reed call.

Now not peeling those coyotes is another waste, anyone see the pics of the 18 coyotes left on a tote road in NV that were shot and not skinned. Prime fur gone to waste and another black eye at the end of the day for all of us.

Last edited:
I may be able to offer another perspective, but perspectives are like...well, we all have them.
+1 on Kirby suggesting a bigger bore, lower velocity. You stated you wanted to use a can. Yes, you can get them from several sources in several calibers. You will be hard pressed to do better than a 30 caliber can for your requirements. I'd sugest the SWR Omega in 30 caliber. You can use it on a smaller caliber, but the efficiency goes out the door. I'd stick with a moderate velocity 30 cal for that reason. 300 wsm gets my vote.
Best of Luck,
wk

Why not learn how to speak coyote, about 95% can be called into 50yrd range providing you know how to work the wind and talk there talk. Vern Dorn could just about get any coyote punch drunk with in 30 yards. Then drop the hammer, but there is a system and know how. The rage with all this coyote calling is total BS, like Zink a duck call maker saying he makes the baddest coyote calls.

When I say a system I am talking about an order to shoot them and not the first one that swings by. Last winter I was in TX hunting Nilgi and we went coyote hunting with the game manager. He cut loose on a Tally Hoo and then a Critter call. if those coyotes could talk they would have told him what brand call he had. So we went to another area and gave them something they never heard from a human and dropped 5 in a stand. All while the gun was going off they kept comming in. You need to learn the order of the shots, where to shoot them and read them.

No dying rabbit and challenge call is going to do it.

Bill Austen who was a bummbling drunk took what Dorn showed him and wrote about it. Vern regretted it until his passing. All you need is a mylar reed and a castration rubber band to make a call. Hell look at Randy anderson he can not call to save his life.
There's one material to make a barrel from and the guy who makes them sells about 5 a year. He's an ADC man that calls in more coyotes a week than most of these blow hards do in 2 years. But you don't see the great callers going to some compition since they do it day in day out. But if you were to run into the few men that can call you'd feel like Johnny holmes just got done and they needed 2 mins of fill in time.

Any caller that goes out with a closed reed call has handi capped themselves right from the start. Lets face it any dog toy can be taken apart and made into a closed reed call.

Now not peeling those coyotes is another waste, anyone see the pics of the 18 coyotes left on a tote road in NV that were shot and not skinned. Prime fur gone to waste and another black eye at the end of the day for all of us.

I understand the value of calling well. I am currently one of the biggest students of calling that you might ever find. I am not going to state that I am the best but I feel I am decent. As a matter of fact I am a prostaff for a call manufacturer and I have personally built over 100 calls from pup howlers, alpha male howlers, female howlers, estrous chirp calls, coyote fight simulation calls, all of the coyote distress calls along with every dying animal distress sound I can think of. I am practicing daily for the World Predator Calling Championship coming up for the second time ever next year. I have won hunting contests and am passionate about coyote hunting.

I will admit that as much practice as I put in I still have coyotes that I can't bring into 30 yards. I am up here in Idaho and there is some area's that I call that I can see for miles and have spent well over an hour trying to bring in a dog hung up at 1000k. I am probably never going to be good enough to call them all in and probably will never be good enough shot to shoot them at those long ranges but it sure is not going to stop me from trying.

My passion is coytoe hunting and shooting at coyotes. I love your comment I laughed my head off. You should write books. I am just always trying to reach the next level in hunting and shooting it is what gets me out of bed in the morning. I work so I can afford my passion heck sometimes I think I am a good husband to earn hunting time!

You should write books, I would but that would make me more angry.

If you want to learn then hook up with an ADC Trapper. These are the men that are banging them out under pressure when they have to take out a killer ASAP. A private ADC man is going to offer you more since he is working for himself being paid by the rancher per head.

Why is it that you see all the videos comming out of TX, COLO cause there easy pickens. COLO with no trapping, TX highest coyote populataion but then again you don't see them trying to call in the east. If you want them in get a decoy dog that has Dorn blood. PM me since I might just know some that are proven out in NE MT.

It's denning time and that is the best of the best when it comes to numbers and the fireworks going off. It's nice to hear that you make calls but as I mentioned there's only one meterial to make a coyote call from. People believe the best calls are from dingbats that claim to make the best calls. There just better marketers like Anderson and his primos hotdog you get my drift.

What makes me laugh is Randy's video with some guy Dave out of the Dakotas, he could call and shoot on the run. That former ADC man could work'm but the guy with hotdog call kept screwing him up.

I have the cure.

How about an 80 grain bullet leaving the muzzle at 3800 fps.

Dogs out to 1200 yds. so far.

22 Tejas.

7stw is a flat shooter but for yotes and such the 6.5x284 would be the largest i would ever go for a dedicated predator rifle. I sound crazy now because the last few months i have been hunting yotes with my custom stw. But not by choice. Anyway. At 1000 yds i can hit a coyote sized target on the first shot most of the time if the wind is pretty easy on me however. My coyote target is made of steel and doesn't move on me like a real one would. Given how nervous they are, their size, and how well they can camouflage 1000 yd hits on yotes are tough. Ive never done it myself. Sounds like your hand calling too. That makes it tougher. And also remember that even with an stw you need its exactrange and if its coming to you the range is changing so fast that you might need a spotter/range guy to assist. I hope you do it. Sounds awesome but very challenging. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.