Ultimate long range cartridge

I'm 9 years away from retirement so ido have some time. If I wanted to shoot to 1 or 2 miles for a bench gun what cartridge would you go with
The 375 Cheytec seems to be the favorite at the moment. I have one and am impressed so far with the accuracy and relatively low recoil. Ammo availability is an issue if you do not currently reload.

I see a lot of mention of various .30's and .338's. What are the pro's and con's of the various options?

Personally, the 338-378 is one I toyed with a long time ago but, belted brass is not something I want to deal with today. Then there is the whole Weatherby issue of proprietary cases with limited support. The 338LM seems to be aging out to newer offerings but, I dabbled with one of those as well but, today it seems to be losing favor.

The RUM seems to have fallen out of favor with the 300PRC supplanting WSM's and SAUM's as well. With the D.O.D. going with a 338 Norma, this seems like the better option for the 1,000 yard and 1-mile shoots but, I may be missing some issues both good and bad.

Why go with one of the .30's or .338's over the others assuming you want a target rifle that isn't super-exotic and has a weight that is reasonable to shoot for extended periods without needing a support crew to actually move it. ;)

As someone entering my early retirement years, I'm thinking I want something more than a Remington Sendero in 300WM or an aging 338-378 Weatherby and a 338LM pseudo-hunting pseudo-target rig.

Regarding the 22LR 100~200~... yard options, I'm starting with a Tikka T1X and looking at a KRG Sako Green stock for starters. That and some good glass will get me started. If that bug catches me, I'll worry about a 40X or some other option at that point in time. ;)

I'm going to be about $7,000 in to my 338 RUM. Including optics (low budget for ELR) 338 RUM specific reloading gear, rests and a case.

I could have shaved maybe $2,000 off of that if I went absolutely entry level or built off a Savage.

Stepping up to a 338 Lapua Magnum would cost more because for safety margin you have to go up to a larger barrel shank. Stepping up to a big .375 is even more because you are 100% stepping outside of the Remington 700 compatible platform, everything is going to be specific to a big boomer.

Reloading for a big boy is very expensive too, if you are trying to shoot 1 mile+, you're probably going to need fancy lathe turned bullets which are a lot more than a lead core jacketed bullet. Even 338 has a premium, you would think that bullet price would scale with mass because the labor shouldn't change much between. A .223 and a .50 but the jump in cost from .308 to .338 bullets does not scale.
I shoot 338 rum also what Bullets and powder are you using

I agree with others who state 1 mile and 2 mile are very different animals. I've had fair success with my 300 RUMs and 210-215's at the mile and 2,000 yard mark, and have even played with a 22/250AI with 80's at 1 mile, but for serious competition or to improve the odds at consistency, especially if going the 2 mile route, I would use "at least" a 375 CT. Although I've played with a couple of 50's at 2,000, today I would build something else.

There's something about the 300 Norma mag that works. Just like the 300 PRC. Improving the 300 Norma Magnum really makes the most sense for an ELR cartridge. Witg the introduction of 245 Berger I think that's your best ELR option in the 30 caliber. There may be bigger case capacity cartridges than the 300 Norma but I've watched the performance of that cartridge at 2000 yards and it's amazing. The accuracy and performance is nearly unequalled by any other 30 caliber cartridge for ELR. I probably put my foot in my mouth by saying that cuz they'll be some push back but it's a fine cartridge if your choice is 30 cal. The only thing I don't like about that cartridge is you need a 338 Lapua bolt face to run it. It's why I'm building a 300 PRC.

I'm 9 years away from retirement so ido have some time. If I wanted to shoot to 1 or 2 miles for a bench gun what cartridge would you go with it would depend on your budget. Me personally even if I had unlimited funds. I'd still build a 7mm of some sort. 7 MM RUM or a 7-300. I have shot my 260 Remington out to around 2400 yards. If you are just punching paper or shooting steel there is just no reason to go bigger than the 7mm family. It has plenty for 2 miles.

Here you go.... My 375 BAS 400 Lazers at 3100 fps. Almost 16 LBS as seen

NF ATACR 5x25

hqtWlNKh.jpg

qi5Dag6h.jpg

8dU5irsh.jpg

Shoots well but have not had a chance to stretch it.....

I9GHAQAh.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.