Ultimate long range cartridge

Tom Erickson

I'm 9 years away from retirement so ido have some time. If I wanted to shoot to 1 or 2 miles for a bench gun what cartridge would you go with

I'm 9 years away from retirement so ido have some time. If I wanted to shoot to 1 or 2 miles for a bench gun what cartridge would you go with
1-2 miles is a huge spread. Just say one mile. For that range to 2000 yards, the .338 LM or .338 LM Improved are an excellent choice. Going beyond say...2200 up to 2 miles, jumping into the Cheytac case is the best move (IMO). The .375 is a great 2 mile cartridge. Bullets are phenomenal with great numbers. The extra BC numbers and extra payload gets them across the 3500 yard line very efficiently. I started with the .338 LM Imp and still think it's plenty for out to 2200 yards. Watch the horizon as I think some .338 heavies will be showing up. Berger is long over due with their 329 grain bullet. I think we'll see 350 grain range .338 bullets introduced next year. May need a Snipetac size case to get the most from it but it'll extend the .338 LM range into the 1.5 mile easily.

Tom

There is some good suggestions and info in this interview that you can listen to.

I am osoh
JH

Ok I have 7 grand into my 28 nosler can I get into long range shooting for under 10 grand or will i have to save even more
I'm going to be about $7,000 in to my 338 RUM. Including optics (low budget for ELR) 338 RUM specific reloading gear, rests and a case.

I could have shaved maybe $2,000 off of that if I went absolutely entry level or built off a Savage.

Stepping up to a 338 Lapua Magnum would cost more because for safety margin you have to go up to a larger barrel shank. Stepping up to a big .375 is even more because you are 100% stepping outside of the Remington 700 compatible platform, everything is going to be specific to a big boomer.

Reloading for a big boy is very expensive too, if you are trying to shoot 1 mile+, you're probably going to need fancy lathe turned bullets which are a lot more than a lead core jacketed bullet. Even 338 has a premium, you would think that bullet price would scale with mass because the labor shouldn't change much between. A .223 and a .50 but the jump in cost from .308 to .338 bullets does not scale.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.