Ultimate Hunting Rifle

TWF

It might be impossible!!! I'm am looking for a rifle that will be able to accurately shoot and kill an elk or other North American big game animal at and over 800 yards. I had previously considered Lazzeroni, but it cost too much. Then it was Christensen arms in a Lazzeroni caliber, but too many bad evaulations. I think the lazzeroni long action .308 will do the job, but I need a rifle capable of handling the round. Another important factor is weight. I would like a Christensen barrel (graphite or what ever it is) but I have heard a lot of bad things. Another options is a fluted barrel, but I haven't seen one that wasn't stainless. I would rather not carry something so shiny around the woods. If anyone has any ideas let me know.
Thanks,
TWF

Just go get yourself a REM 700 Sendero in a 300 Win mag or build one on a REM action. The 300 win will do the job ask GoodGrouper he shot a Elk at 820 yards with his. Another cal to look at would be a 7mm STW.

Thats right dakor. To me the long action lazzeroni's are nothing but rem ultra mags with a few tweaks for a performance edge and the short actions are winchester short mags with the same tweaks. I like the lazzeroni so all you lazz fans dont jump on me yet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I would go with the sendero in a 300 win or ultra mag if you prefer a 30 cal and they are availanle with the barrel fluted without being stainless ( new model this year called VSF ) or perhaps look into the 7mm STW dakor mentioned or the original 7mm mag or perhaps the 7 rum all of which with good bullet choices would make great long range hunting rigs! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Check out 820 yard cow elk pics and see the results goodgrouper had with his 300 win mag and a 180 grain accubond. That setup worked great at that range! If you want a custom rifle start with a good rem 700 action and go from there and have it chambered to whatever you want. Also lilja barrels offers some custom barrels in the remington sendero contours and I'm sure since rem has come out with the non stainless fluted in there factory offerings lilja will sone have it too if they dont already. Hope that helps you out a little! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Senderos weight like 400 pounds with a bull barrel. Where would you get a Remington action, if you wanted to convert it to something like a Lazzeroni caliber. How and who could do a good job of changing a standard Remington action to something that could handle a Lazzeroni.

From what I could tell the remington website showed the biggest caliber for the VSF at .308

You can get the actions from brownells but you will need an ffl dealer to order it for you. The rem model 700 is available without the bull barrel in a sporter weight that is still very accurate. The remington action should need no mods to handle the lazzeroni calibers since they are basically the same dimensions as the ultra mags rem offers. Another way to obtain an action is find a used rifle that someone is wanting to get rid cheap but that mat take some time. The actions from brownells are around 350 dollars if I remember correctly. If you want to check out the actions their web site is www.brownells.com and check out lilja barrels website to cause they offer several weight of custom barrels. I think theirs is www.liljabarrels.com.

It may not be available in the magnum calibers yet but from what they told me in an email it would be offered in them.

TWF my Sendero weighs 11 lbs with a scope and bipod on it. If you get a good sling you really do not even know it is there. You can also buy a used Rifle and use the action on it. If you want a light rifle I would get a #5 from Lilja and have him put deep flutes in it. But rifle weight is over rated if you ask me. A lot of guys think you need to have a 5lbs rifle to pack in places and that is simply not true. Most people that say that never take the time to carry their heavier rifle before the hunt. If you do not want to flute your rifle then go with a #4 contour. I would also stay away from the 7mm or 30 cal Lazz and 7mm and 300 Ultra mag cartridges. They are way over rated if you ask me for how much more powder you have to burn to get the 150 to 200 fps over a standard. No offense to anyone with a Ultra or Lazz I have a 300 Ultra in my gun safe but the truth is the truth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If you take a 300 win or what ever you decide and put a 28 inch barrel on it you will be happy with the performance.

Get a barrel from Advanced Barrel Systems. They are made on Rock 5R barrels with a new type of carbon winding that is far superior to the Christensen barrels and they shoot really well. I have used 3-4 of them and have been happy.
Forget about the Lazz. action and do it up on a Remmy in 300 WSM or Win Mag.

I own several big game rifles and the 7SGW is my favorite, but if you want a true mag action contact Olympic Arms they have a true mag action that can handle up to a 500 nitro express. they also make great barrels and can do all the work needed for a fair price you can pick up a stock and your ready to go. Think twice about 800 yard shots its not only the gun but you and a very good scope.

Downing the big cases huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif No offense taken here cause I agree with you on the excess amount of powder I am burning in the ultra compared to the 7mm mag or stw. TWF just start with a good action and do a little homework on barrel selection and you should like what you end up with!

Your correct optics are just as important as the rifle. The question is which one to go with, personally I have always use leupold, but am began looking at the Zeiss Conquest. I really don't know that much about Nightforce and don't particularly care for their reticles. Swarovski is always an option, but it does seem to be that popular on this website. Any reccomendation would be appreciated.
TWF

TWF I have used several kinds of optics and the conquest is a nice scope with good quality lenses and also their reticles are etched on glass. Leupys are nice and the bushnell elites are also. If you want a high end scope the zeiss or burris black diamond are IMO the best for their price range. If you want to go thousand plus then swarovski or Shmidt& bender are your other options along with a couple more. Check out the Burris Black Diamond if you haven't already you might like what you find.

Is This What You Are Going For.

I like when people have a picture like the gun I am looking for.So here you go.There are more pictures at the link. Lazzeroni Warbird S&B PMII 4x16x50

254126.jpg

Send me a PM if you are interested and I will give you the run down on a Lazzeroni Warbird

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.