Ultimate Firearms shooting

ENCORE

Starting to get more confident with the UF rifle. Between the weather and other fall "to do" things, I've made it up to the range a few times and had some fun.

I went up to test the Barnes 290gr flat base bullets and when leaving the house, it was dead calm out. That changed by the time I got to the range and a pretty stiff breeze had came up. There was a couple guys shooting CF's for an elk hunt they had planned. They took a break and told me to go hang my targets. I stapled one up at 200yds, wondering why I was trying to test bullets in that wind.
When I unloaded my equipment, I was asked what I would be shooting and when I told them a muzzleloader, they looked at the 200yd target, then back at me with a "hairy eyeball". However when I uncased the Ultimate, it seemed to get their attention. After making sure they had hearing protection on, I sent a fouling round. That really got their attention and they walked over to look over that rifle.

The more we talked, the more I convinced myself that a bullet trial with the wind, was just going to be sending bullets for nothing. Then one of the guys asked me if I could see his orange gong and asked if "that muzzleloader" could hit the gong. He said it was at 300 meters. I figured what the heck and loaded the rifle up, turned the turret to 325yds and sent the round. As the wind was blowing at me, I couldn't see the hit, but surely heard it. The guy that had asked me if I could hit it, had been watching through his spotting scope. He jumped up, threw his had on the round, walked around in circles and then said, "If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I'd have never believed it!" They suddenly became very interested in my muzzleloader, as he'd been shooting at it all morning with his CF and couldn't hit it but twice.

Another day that the wind was good for me, I headed up and shot an acceptable 400 yard target, a little better than my first target I posted in another thread........

I shot about a week ago and wanted to shoot the Hornady SST bullet and compare it to the Whitetail Medicine bullet. Contrary to popular belief, the WM bullet is NOT the SST bullet and there was a significant difference in how they shot. I shot the 300 yard range and ended up with the following results. The SST performed poorly. To verify what the bullets actually had done, I shot a second round in reverse order, shooting the SST bullets first with the identical results. However this long range shooting is sure fun.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.