Ultimate Budget Caliber

The 300 Win has never blown my skirt up though I've built a LOT of them. The 270 WSM running a 170 Berger us my personal favorite, a 300 WSM running a 215 Berger is an absolute ideal all round elk rig as well, hammers them hard and easy shooting. The 270 WSM I can run unbraked very effectively the 300's I run braked.

Good wisdom here. Because it's somewhat on topic, and i cant be the only guy wondering;

As someone who has been in on taking of hundreds of elk, and likely butchered thousands...

When impact velocity is in the 1800fps to 2200fps range, how much of a gap do you see between a .277 170gr or 284 175gr compared to the 215gr hybrid in wound channels and the like?

Good wisdom here. Because it's somewhat on topic, and i cant be the only guy wondering;

As someone who has been in on taking of hundreds of elk, and likely butchered thousands...

When impact velocity is in the 1800fps to 2200fps range, how much of a gap do you see between a .277 170gr or 284 175gr compared to the 215gr hybrid in wound channels and the like?

My money says not much

Butchered thousands of elk? Is that hyperbole or literal? If you mean that literally how did you manage to butcher so many, did you work for a butcher shop? And to be in on taking hundreds you must have worked for a guide? My curiosity is killing me.

I've read the Eskimos hunt with a .223. For big game (polar bears) they use a big rifle (.243). Americans have magnumitis. My friend used to hunt elk with .243. He never had a problem, but I think that is marginal for elk. I believe most people shoot better with lighter bullets. Lighter bullets are generally cheaper.

You guys know your on Long Range Hunting right!!! Range has absolutely NOTHING to do with being a hunter!!
I used to be of that mentality that it did. But after being here NOT POSTING MUCH JUST READING I have learned that you guys put way way WAY more into everything that regular hunters don't do. Your reloading practices are incredibly meticulous. Practice sessions way better than the average hunter.
But I will also say.
Long range is a term for an individual to make not some blanket statement. For you guys 300 yards will be like a chip shot at best. Me its unfathomable. I live in NJ and my longest kill here has been about a 35 yard shot where I live and hunt in the Pineland.
Long range is determined by the individual not anyone else. What's short to you maybe impossible to me

Butchered thousands of elk? Is that hyperbole or literal? If you mean that literally how did you manage to butcher so many, did you work for a butcher shop? And to be in on taking hundreds you must have worked for a guide? My curiosity is killing me.

That's @bigngreen I'm referring to. Yes, as I understand it, he butchered elk professionally for a number of years.

I'm more in the 'dozens' category, and for me LRH is a humbling place to be. There are some fellows here with a LOT of experience. Separating the wheat from the chaff can be a bit of a challenge, and that's why I tried to qualify my question a bit. Credit where credit is due.

That's @bigngreen I'm referring to. Yes, as I understand it, he butchered elk professionally for a number of years.

I'm more in the 'dozens' category, and for me LRH is a humbling place to be. There are some fellows here with a LOT of experience. Separating the wheat from the chaff can be a bit of a challenge, and that's why I tried to qualify my question a bit. Credit where credit is due.
I see I thought you were saying you had those experiences. I'm not even to dozens yet, haha. Although I added one last weekend to my tally, but I've probably butchered 15 elk over the last 20 years, so I know enough to know someone who has literally butchered thousands isn't just doing it for a hobby or to help buddies out. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.