Ultimate Budget Caliber

As great as the 300wm is, and knowing full well it can kill an Elk at 1,000 yds, is it really an effective 1,000 elk cartridge? I think the margin is a little to close. Probably need to go with the 338wm. Is your priority cost or success? Define that first.
I'd say its effective if the trigger man does his part, The ballistics concur

What would you guys think it is the ultimate budget LRH round for elk class animals? Say, out to 700-100 yards? There are all the latest and greatest out there, but they are expensive to shoot and load for, and the rifles are not cheap either. Think in terms of price per round, brass and rifle availability and ballistics. Maybe the ease of obtaining high BC bullets factors in here too, as some of the more exotic bullets are hard to find!

What say you? Are we talking a 300 WM, 280 AI, 270/7WSM?
300WM. Great cartridge that's readily available in lots of brands and bullet weights.

With the new powders and high BC .308 bullets, I would have to say go with the .30-06, and a 24 inch barrel.
StaBall 6.5, and RL-26 can have a 180 gr bullet going in the 2900 + fps, a 212 gr Hornady ELD-X bullet can go 2700 + fps.
There's enough oomph out to 1000 yds to take an elk.
But, on the other side, a rifleman should practice, practice, practice before even attempting that long of a shot. There are a lot of variables that will affect shot placement at that distance, even with a .300 Win Mag!
It's better for the elk, and shooter to shorten the distance to 500 yds or less.

As great as the 300wm is, and knowing full well it can kill an Elk at 1,000 yds, is it really an effective 1,000 elk cartridge? I think the margin is a little to close. Probably need to go with the 338wm. Is your priority cost or success? Define that first.
In this case per the OP it is cost. The question of what is the BEST elk cartridge has been...already covered.

What would you guys think it is the ultimate budget LRH round for elk class animals? Say, out to 700-100 yards? There are all the latest and greatest out there, but they are expensive to shoot and load for, and the rifles are not cheap either. Think in terms of price per round, brass and rifle availability and ballistics. Maybe the ease of obtaining high BC bullets factors in here too, as some of the more exotic bullets are hard to find!

Who shoots an elk at 1000 yds? Get a 30-06 and sneak closer...

In this case per the OP it is cost. The question of what is the BEST elk cartridge has been...already covered.
Well then, I'd say there is no real need to ask the question, because cost is not based on anyone's opinion, and I haven't noticed anyone posting any $$$$$ yet.

I would go to your local gun store and see what factory ammo was mostly available and start from there. (( This is if you don't hand load )) the problem you will run into is how much energy is needed to be considered a elk rifle. Some say 2,000 ft lbs, some say 1,500 ft lbs and I say 1,000 ft lbs. No of those are wrong answers. I've taken a cow elk at just under 1,000 yards with a little 260 Remington and 140 grain Berger bullet. ((But I hand load)) look at your ballistics calculator and plug your numbers in and see what it says at the ranges you want to hunt elk. You will be surprised on what caliber rifles you can use.

Thanks for all the replies, gents. Figured this was more of a fun theoretical question than anything. Cost vs. performance is always an ongoing discussion.

Who shoots an elk at 1000 yds? Get a 30-06 and sneak closer...

We do, if the conditions say get closer then that's fine, if conditions are good just walk over there with a knife and pack!!

Elk to that 600-800 yard range is where the lighter magunums really shine, I've taco'ed quite a few in the 600-900 yard range with a 270 WSM, 6.5 SS, 300 WSM which were all ample to make a bull rethink living rather quickly. I like the 270 win, 280AI or 06 designed right but I REALLY like my WSM's or Sherman chamberings for elk especially if your looking at that 800 ish average limit. Between 600-800 yards is a SWEET spot for elk!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.