ULD .277" bullets arrived...

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Though you guys would be interested in seeing these little beauties.

pyezo

These are the 130 gr Ballistic Tips on the left and the 169.5 gr Wildcat ULD Rebated Boattails on the right.

Initial tests are showing a B.C. of .748. Now if my 270 Allen Magnum will hit its projected velocity of +3400 fps we will have a HELL of a long range rifle with moderate recoil.

Just thought you may be interested in these new .277" ULDs. I will be sure to post pics when bullets start flying.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

grin.gif
would it be possible to get more info on your.277 allen.i shoot.257 and .277 and have always thought a .277 would make one great LR weapon.

Sweet! Kirby...Hurry up and start slingin some lead I can't wait to hear some #'s ohh yeah I know that we had talked about the .338 300 grain ULD bullets ..if you get some in can you post a pic of one next to a 300 GR SMK I really would like to try more 300 gr bullets in the Lapua but nobody makes them.

Keith

LarryJ,

The Allen Magnum rounds are a family of high performance non belted magnums designed on a full length 338 RUM case with extensively modified shoulder angle and diameter.

The case is designed to offer the largest possible case capacity for the 257, 6.5 and 270 calibers. The performance goals will obviously only be reachable using bullets such as the Wildcat bullets that are being designed specifically for these three rounds.

There will be bullet weights of 130, 145, 150 and possibly 160 in the 257 AM. The 145 gr ULD has a B.C. of .730!

The 6.5mm will start at 140 gr and include weights of 160, 170 gr with a ULD in this caliber as well with a projected B.C. in the very high .7 range, possibly .8

The 270 AM will have a 130 gr conventional Bonded Core bullet as well as weights of 160, 170 and 180 along with the 169.5 gr ULDs pictured.

These rounds are designed for 500-600 yards deer and pronghorn hunting built on 8.5 to 9.5 lb sporter weight rifles.

Obviously they will also perform as excellent extreme range rounds in heavies.

I am expecting to have rifles on the range to be tested by mid Jan.

I will certainly keep all of you posted.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

LRDT,

Believe me I am about going out of my mind waiting for the barrels and reamers but as soon as they get here I will probably in the shop all night and day getting these things up and running.

When I get the 300 and 350 gr ULD match bullets I will definately post some pics with the 300 gr SMK.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

How much? I would like to try them out of my little gun?

I've read about BC depending about the FPS of bullets. BC changes between hipersonic speeds.

Years ago a needle point projectile was not as BC as small HP point.

I have always wondered about the true testing of long BT bullets and claimed bc? I might only have in low 500's of BC.

I study the BC tables of my .277 and have shot 1000's of Chrono loads to make the best 600 yard paper shots with 140 and 150 moly coated SPBT needal point loads out of my 29 inch stick? None of the 135's match bullets even get close to the grouping.

I would like to test yours on BR shooting at 300 just to see a group. The guys up in Arco idaho have nice BC also

What is the significance of the rebated boatail and what does that equate to?
I have some JLK's here and they have a similiar design.
When can we expect the .287's to come out?

Dave

Daveosok,

My understanding of the theory behind the design of the Rebated Boattail is this. The main advantages to this design over the traditional boattail configuration are and ease understant I am not a ballistics expert, this is just my understanding.

The Rebated Boattail bullets combine the best features of the flat based bullet with the boattail design.

The most consistant and accurate bulets made are flat base bullets simply because it is much easier to make a flat base as perfect as possible compared to a easy sloping boattail.

Now that is not to say modern BT bullets are not extremely consistant and accurate because they are but you only have to look at the 100 and 200 yard BR bullets to see tht they are Flat Base bullet designs.

Te step down if you will is supposed to create a more consistant gas seal and also is supposed to produce a more consistant release from the muzzle at exit as well. This more efficent gas seal is also supposed to increase the throat live of a barrel as well to some degree.

As far as actual ballistic advantage over a traditional boattail, I believe most of the B.C. value is determined by the nose profile of the bullet compared to the boattail.

I am hoping to have the 270 AM up and running by mid Jan.

Wildcat bullets is offering the 169.5 gr ULD right now. You can contact Richard Graves at: [email protected]

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for the reply. I agree with the more consistant gas seal and muzzle exit.
I meant to type .284 instead of .287 but I gather you understood what I was trying to ask. I also tried to email you but have not gotten a reply yet, did you receive it?
Dave

[ 12-04-2004: Message edited by: daveosok ]

Dave,

I apologize for not responding to your e-mail, it must have slipped by me without me seeing it but I went back and found it.

What exactly is a solid model Rem 700?

Richard and I are discussing ideas for the larget caliber AM rounds from 7mm up to 475 or 500 possible. As well as .22 and 6mm.

We really do not want to bring a new round out that basically matches what is available in factory form right now. With the RUM and big Wby rounds in factory rifles, this is making things a little tricky.

We are working on the larger rounds though but the two smaller calibers will be out first with a group of new Wildcat Bullets for each caliber.

Good Shooting,

Again I apologize for missing your E-mail, I would be interested in more information.

Kirby Allen(50)

John M.

The 169.5 gr pills will need a 1-8 twist, at least that is what the computer projects. I have a 1-10 and 1-8 barrel coming to test these bullets in.

The 257 STW will accurately shoot the 145 gr FBSP out of a 1-10 twist barrel so the 270 AM will probably do fine with the flat bases up to 170 gr or so with the 1-10.

The 180 FB and ULD bullets will probably need a faster twist but I bet the 1-8 is more then needed. We will see.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.