Ugly Wyoming coyote

7mmSendaro

First let me say that I didn't have my camera when I shot the ugly beast. Go ahead give me hell...............:)

Anyway, I shot a coyote that apparently had ana extreme case of mange. Basically no hair at all and his skin was a purple color. At best he had a light "peach fuzz" all over. His tail was completely bare.

He was really not acting right. I tokk the first shot at him at a couple hundred yards and missed. He then actually came back toward me as though nothing had happened. I think he may have been committing suicide:D.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Foxes over here get mange and it can be passed to domestic animals. Its not a pretty sight. I saw one once and thought it was one of the small deer we have here, that is until I got closer and saw it had a stick like tail, they look kinda funny without their usual Brush. So I shot it.

We are not keen on handling them either in this part of the world when they got mange. Its a mite I think and I'm pretty sure it kills them if they get it real bad.

You did the right thing.

I shot this one. I have shot one purple like yours but I didnt take a pic of it
Image020.jpg

See em occasionally here in Western Montana. Very lathargic. Spooked one once. It ran a few yards, then sat down as if to say, "Now what was I runnin' from?" Have killed probably ten bad ones over the years. Yes, it is a mite (a mange mite). It's my understanding there is at least three kinds. One affects them on the rump and the base of the tail. Another on the shoulders and neck. Both of these are non-fatal. The third kind affects them over their entire bodies and is fatal. They scratch, bite and shake....it drives them carzy. In some cases their digging at their skin casues leisions which may result in Staph infection. If this doesn't get them they may soon die of hypotherima in cold climates. Coyote Mike

Did he look something like this one....

The grandson and I smelled him before we seen him, and even then I wasn't sure what it was for a minute or so, then I put him out of his misery. The only hair he had was just between his ears and a little on his chest. Really sad thing to see, even if they are varmints.

That's him.

That looks almost exactly like him except mine was a very dark purple. Like you, I was really not sure what I was looking at when I first saw him. It was a sad sight....even for a yote.

Brian

A lot of the coyotes around here with bad mange are deaf. I don't know why they are but you can get fairly close to them and if you call they won't even look at you.

A few years ago ,a farmer close by here, went to his barn to take care of his sheep. He went into the barn and found a coyote about like what you have there. He said it was in with his sheep but not bothering them at all, just wanted to stay warm. He promptly killed it.
I have seen what mange does to a pack of black and tan coonhounds as well as domestic hog's, it used to be really hard to stop, I hope it's easier now.

This sort of thing occures frequently in Iraq. And it is contagious to humans (Hence some of the provisions of General Order #1 GO1). If you see them with the mange kill them and burn the bodies to prevent the spread of the pathogen

V/R
Rob

P.S good Kill

best thing for mange is oil... seriously change the oil on your car save the oil (make sure it is not hot) and put it on your dog.. within a week you should start seeing new hair.. works way better than taking him to the vet. and no it doesnt hurt the dog whatsoever.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.