Ugly extreme spread........now what ?

Finally bought a chrono to get serious about finding a 500yd deer load for my field rifle. THIS IS ON NEW BRASS . I found a load that shoots great at 100yds considering I'm just fire forming brass and making sure the barrel is broke in right. This string is shots 67 to 77 on a new barrel. Barrel has not copper fouled since round count 20.
Load is 41.8gns of RL16 behind a Berger 130 vld with cci br large rifle primers and Peterson LRP brass (new/unfired). Barrel was cleaned before this string was fired.

The barrel was getting pretty warm on the last 3 shots, but I didnt let any rounds cook in the chamber more than the time it took to chamber , square up in the graph window and squeeze the shot.
Am I looking for good ES too early in the process? Would you hunt for a better load, or relax and play with seating depths till I get the rest of this brass once fired, bumped, and weight sorted ? Oh, its s 6.5 creedmoor :D
Copper fouling to a certain point is not a bad thing. Actually helps in most cases. Ive found you can clean a barrel too much over not good enough.

Copper fouling to a certain point is not a bad thing. Actually helps in most cases. Ive found you can clean a barrel too much over not good enough.
I agree, in some barrels , copper fouling can help accuracy somewhat. But if a barrel doesnt copper foul, it's not one of those barrels that benefit from it. I just cleaned my barrel to make sure it was starting fresh. I had just shot 23 shots and wanted to make sure it was done breaking in. There was no copper apparent according to my copper solvent patches (no blue tint)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts