U.S. army sniper school

sixactual,

You resurrected this thread from a long time ago.

Good to hear from you.

No need for more detail. I'm just an old sailor that handled an M1 once. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Got the thumb thing too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Good luck in your endeavors and God speed!!

As I said in my first post on the thread, I was a officer and the platoon leader. I was "qualified" many things but none of them were "sniper qualified". I learned a lot from my men and was/am proud to be associated with them. It is where I learned what is "POSSIBLE" with a rifle.

buffalobob,

What do you mean by actual? Yes I am. Attended Army BCT at Benning followed by Airborne then RIP. Was stationed at 1st Bat. 75thReg.where I attended Ranger school.Took shrapnel in Tora Bora range and at home in Texas healing.I leave for Hunter in 3 weeks.

Six actual

Go back to the beginning of the thread and read my fiirst post on the subject.

What I mean is this refers to radio call signs.

Back many years ago in a land far away, I was an "actual" as opposed to a "romeo". At first I was a "three actual" and then I was a "one actual". A "three actual" has a "one actual" in the field in charge of him- in my case a company commander who was my "one actual". When I began running recon I answered to no one in the field. I was under tactical control of the Bn S3 at the forward firebase and Admin control of the E Co Commander who was in the rear area. A "three Romeo" would be the radioman for the platoon leader. A good romeo would do 90 % of the talking and only every once in a while would I talk. So to differentiate between the radio man and the officer you would need to specify "romeo" or "actual". A sniper could not be an "actual" because they were attached to me and under only my tactical control. Hence my question of the modern army and snipers being "actuals". Of course a sniper qualified NCO can be promoted and transferred up to an actual position but would no longer be the sniper but instead be the platoon sergeant or first sergeant. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now then if that is not enough to make you dizzy then because when I was in the line company I was in charge of third platoon I was really the "three three actual". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

happy hunting

Sorry,I took the parenthisis as sarcasim. I am an E-6 Platoon Sergeant. We work usually as a detachment to SF and fit in at squad level.With SF using teams on the open net it allows the TOC to quickly recognize a Ranger or SF team member.I am usually tasked to the SF 18B [weapons sergeant]and there are quite a few platoon sergeants and even platoon leaders [1stLt 2ndLt] that fill the sniper roll if trained and when needed. I have not been the sniper since my battlefield promotion but will be the hard target man when I return.

buffalobob,

When and where did you serve? I'm always interested in talking to other veterans.People need to understand that ther IS a BIG difference in the military sniper, the police sniper and the long range hunter.Most SWAT officers never take a real world shot over 80yds.A Canadian military holds the new record combat shot at over 2300meters!It seems that the longrange hunter relies more on ballistics than anybody.We use the muscle memory,long hours of training and tactics more than bullet selection,powders,C.O.L.etc. You will rarely find a SWAT man that shoots a big magnum because of over penetration were as we need the most penetration possible.Basicaly, anyone wanting to be a better longrange hunter would be better off asking one of the many skilled hunters on this web site than asking a military sniper.I have posted several questions here because I am not a longrange hunter.My rifles are furnished .I cant adjust my loads or my tigger on my Sniper Weapons System.Long range hunters have sooo many options it just cant compare. Best thing is ask questions and learn from the right people and practice with whatever you shoot as much as possible.Hopefully soon I can take my first longrange game-animal soon.

Rangers lead the way!!!!!

sixactual,

Keep this thread going. Am learning more about bb all the time. He doesn't say much about those days. I'm pleased that I was able to be a remote part of his elk hunt last season.

If you need a FOM (fat old man) to bring up the rear, going both ways, gimme a holler.

Officers as snipers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Well, maybe they could do it in a pinch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I was an E-6 but a Nuke on the Big E in the Gulf. We, enlisted pukes gotta stick together. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was an Infantry Lt with 10th Special Forces Group between 1969 and 1970. I was then with the 196th Brigade 2/1 Inf Bn in various parts of Vietnam. Chu Lai to the DMZ to Khe Sanh and at the end out in Quang Tri Province near Da Nang.

I wound up a Captain but the army was way overloaded with officers and I was not a good fit for the army after RVN and so me and the army went our separate ways.

[ QUOTE ]
Has any body on this post gone thought an sniper school ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sniperschool.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.