Typical prices for threading barrels of old rifles for suppressors ?

preventec47

I would love to have a suppressor on a few of my older rifles but I didnt know if the factory had to install the screw threads on new rifles or gunsmiths could.
Say for instance a Rem 700 7mm mag usual cost ?

It depends upon how the rifle is given to the gunsmith. With scope, bi-pod attached and expected to be installed and bore sited after the threading has been completed? Of, with that stuff removed by the owner, just the barreled action mounted in the stock? Also matters how long or how short the barrel is. Too short means the barrel needs to be removed from the action and then re-installed after being threaded, an added cost for sure.

My son and I had Class 3 Machining cut and thread our 308 gas guns. The man did a great, fast job on our rifles.

We had to take everything off the uppers and then shipped them to Texas and the turn around time was far more than acceptable. I would be happy to recommend his work.

I had a rifle threaded by Snowy Mountain Rifles and they also did a good job. I would be happy to recommend their shop also.

I forgot to say that Class 3 was about $75 plus shipping both ways and Snowy Mountain was $140 for the cutting, threading and a few other things. I didn't need to ship the Snowy rifle, they are just down the street for me.

I would love to have a suppressor on a few of my older rifles but I didnt know if the factory had to install the screw threads on new rifles or gunsmiths could.
Say for instance a Rem 700 7mm mag usual cost ?
It may depend on where you live (Left coast??).
Here in fly-over country, I paid $100 for my .308 Win to be threaded.
All I did in preparation, before giving it to the gunsmith, was remove the scope.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.