Typical factory 7RUM freebore

ed209clark

Hello and happy almost thanksgiving everyone, I need some advice or someone to tell me I'm smoking crack… I just got my gun back from a rebarrel to a 7RUM from a 300 RUM, why I'm just curious and have lots of 300 RUM brass I can neck down… anyway this is a barrel from a friend that got it from someone else that was a take off he didn't shoot much ~150 -200 rounds… who really knows, but in my head it was worth a shot since I was going to shoot a bunch of 162 grain bullets that I have, the gun smith put that barrel on head spaced it properly and tried the action whist he was at it… he also checked the throat and said it looked fine, unfired brass chambers fine and everything looks ok to my naked eye, but when I was checking the distance to the lands I'm getting a measurement that to me doesn't make sense with the hornady modified case gauge.(cartridge overall length)it's pushed all the way in too I tried it several times, I even chambered it since it's new too, it's 2.850 like it's supposed to be… I'm measuring 4.030 with the bullet in the lands(jam) to me that seems like a crazy jump from 3.600 to 3.700 I'm use to with the 300 RUM I tried a couple different bullets got similar measurements… I was expecting something around .284 over the 3.600 ~ 3.884 ish not 4.030(3.884 + .146). Basically the bullet is barely in the case if it were loaded out that far and I've never had any of my guns with that much free bore. Your advice is much appreciated. Ed

Thank you so muchI wasn't sure what to expect.., to bad I don't have a 1:7 or 1:8 twist to shoot longer heavier bullets! I think this factory Remington barrel is a 1:9.25 or 1:9?

I picked up a factory 7 Rum awhile back .
No time to mess with it so far , to many other ones I'm shooting .
I have some 180 gr bergers and a box of 195 gr bergers to try .
I was told Re-33 & 195 gr were money !
In the nex few days I'm going to get some Oal #'s and see where this one is at .
I will post what I find . Maybe it could help you out .
We have a week left of Deer season so I'm going to try this one after that .

Rum Man

Thanks folks!I've got some Berger 168s to go along with the 162s I'm gonna build a few to the mag length likely 3.6+ to 3.7" which fit in my 300RUM!I've got us869 retumbo and h1000 along with some 7828ssc which is where I was gonna start with the 162s (7828) what would you guys start with giving the 162/168 supply on had?? Retumbo is my goto for the 300 rum with 200gr accubonds.Many thanks! Ed