Type of mounts for my WSM

ishootkittens

Hey guys, I need some opinions.

I have a .300wsm and I am trying to put some glass on it. (lil tank has already given me some helpful advice, thanks man). I was wondering if I should go with Standard/weaver/double dovetail style mounts? I really like the windage adjustment screw on the standard style, but I was wondering if those types of bases will hold up to the recoil of my WSM. Thanks in advance guys.

I toss all the rear windage adjustable rings and replace them with warne steel rings and bases.The rear windage screw standard type is about the weakest system you can have. Unless you want a long range base, then tps rings and bases are good for that.

Weak? So I should stay away from the "standard bases" then?

I have heard that the standard bases on heavy recoiling rifles can be troublesome.. I have heard that the mounting screws that go in the reciever can shear off under long term pressure.. but I am attaching these bases to an X-bolt which has 4 screws per base. I think with a little blue locktite, they could be stronger than the "standard" standard haha

Last edited:
Personally I can't stand the dovetail front/windage rear or dual dovetail, I always go for the EGW, Weaver, or Ken Ferrel 1 piece picitanny bases with Warne, Talley, or Weaver tactical rings, I like to put it on and not have to worry about it.

The dual dovetail is ok if you have a light scope, less than 24oz or so and a rifle that does recoil to bad. You may be fine with that setup.

I have broken a windage bolt on standard bases that were used on a 300 wm. Since then its been weaver style for me.

The dual dovetails are ok if you don't plan to take them apart very often. Twisting them in and out repeatedly cause them to wear to the point they don't lock up solidly.

Chris

I've got the same rifle with a relatively heavy Burris Black Diamond scope and the standard bases work just fine for me. I've shot 300 rounds through it without a single problem. I've wondered about trying a different base system sometime, but honestly they seem plenty strong for me.

Well I know you have had no problems! :D You have given me great advice so far! haha.. I just found an old basspro gift card and it had 50 bucks on it! haha So i decided id get my mounts tonight! haha but the only mounts the have are the Leupold STD bases for my X-bolt. I just dont want something I have to fiddle with for hours just to get my scope sighted in!

I've never had a problem sighting in while using standard bases. They are really pretty easy to install and use. Winmagman how did you break a windage bolt on a standard base?

I've never had a problem sighting in while using standard bases. They are really pretty easy to install and use. Winmagman how did you break a windage bolt on a standard base?

I assume it was just from shooting, but don't know for sure. Had somewhere around 120 rds through the rifle and accuracy just went all to heck. During the process of trying to figure out why I found one side of the head of one bolt missing. Replaced it, re-sighted in and all was back to normal. That is the only rifle I have that has the standard bases on it. Never had enough faith in them to buy another set for a rifle since then.

I bet if you sent that broken base to leupold they would send you a new one or repair it or something.. hahaha if leupold made your bases that is

To be honest I don't remember which brand they were, this happened back in 1998 about 3 months before an Elk hunting trip to Colorado.

Chris

So the head sheared off the screw? I've seen people who failed to tighten down the windage screws properly and whine that their gun is not accurate, the problem is fixed with a big screwdriver :) I'm glad you discovered your problem before your actual elk hunt!

you would be suprised what a Big screwdriver WONT fix! hahaha.. but im sorry that happened to you! Its a good thing you fixed it before you went on your hunt! I would have been ****ed if that happened to me!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.