Type of Fouling

MarioT

Alright. Well I know there is copper, carbon, powder and other foulings. But what do they look like? From what I know, carbon is black and copper is blue. What about all the others?

Also, a side note. I use Hoppe's No. 9 or Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner to get the carbon/powder (others?) out. On top of that I use Gunslick Copper Klenz for the copper.

Thanks for the help in advance ;)

Well there is of course powder/carbon which is gray/black, copper which is well copper colored, though when you oxidize it with a copper solvent it comes out blue. Then lead which is gray/black, brass which is......you guessed it brass colored. That about covers it, pretty much anything that a cartridge has in it can foul a barrel, though the major contributors are powder/carbon and copper. As to how to get rid of them, I think the general concensus these days is to start with a good powder solvent with a brush and finish off with Wipeout and a lightly oiled patch. Hope that helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.