Two questions

GA1dad

1) I have a custom 722 in 308 thats a 1/4" MOA rifle. It is a single shot that a silouette guy got tired of( why,,,,I don't know). What's a "real" long range limit for the 308 on whitetail? Not the "I chunked it out there 1500 yds. and I'll be dogone, it hit'em" answer. But real life dependable distance.

2) Should I ever decide to, what long range calibers can I rechamber this gun to and still use the bolt face and barrel. Even if I have to angle a long bullet into the action during feeding.

Don't know on #2 but on #1 I would say about 700-800yds. It really all depends on how confident you are shooting the rifle. If you've practiced @ 800 yds and are confident you can make a good hit, go for it.

You think 800? Wow, that's out there. What kind of loads are we talking here? How much energy do you figure i'll have at 800?

I can hit them reliably at 800..........but that 308 loses so much power beyond 600......I'd set my personal max for the 308 at 600........not because af accuracy, but because your chances of a quick knock down kill are greatly reduced beyond 600
hope that helps

I would agree with both responses. The .308 should handle a 600 yard deer well. It will also get the job done out at 800. With this in mind keep your first shot inside 600 and then you have a safety zone of 200 yards for a second shot if needed.

Of course, as usual keep your shots inside the distance you are comfortable with. Step away from a questionable shot.

When getting out around 600 700 800 yards you will want to be using something in the 175 gr and up bullet size. You will want the bullet to go subsonic at a range beyond that which you will be hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.