Two questions, chamber cut and stocks

tomtom

Ok guys,

My quest for a true long range rifle continues. If you recall my other posts I am in the process of having a custom 7wsm built. I talked a while with my gunsmith today and he is ordering a hart barrel for me this week in a remington varmint contour to finish at 28".

My first question is, do I need to have him cut the chamber longer since I plan on using the heavier and longer Berger bullets? The rifle is a long action so cartridge length will not be an issue. Second question is stocks. What do you guys prefer? I'm really wide open to all suggestions. The only thing I know I don't want is some crazy sniper style stock. Right now all I've really looked at is the Mcmillan varmint style.

Thanks,
Thomas

Just have your smith throat for the VLD style bullet but you will have to let him know you want this done before he orders the reamer, that is unless he has one of his own. As far as stocks if you want a fiberglass go with manners or mcmillan on the higher end and look at bell and carlson or houge on the cheaper side and if you want a laminate contact joel russo. Personally i have a manners MCST4-A and love it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.