Two piece rests or one piece rest for hunting

No Fear in Accuracy

I'm aware it is "illegal" to use one piece rest in Light Gun benchrest category. Not for Heavy Gun. I noticed that many of you prefer two piece rest, front and rear bags instead of one. One-piece rest has adjustment elevation at the front. I just thought that you simply put the rifle on the one-piece rest and adjust a little then pull the trigger... is it more complicate than that, huh? I think it is good for tame from big recoil. You can see it at Cabela's online "Elite Rifle Rest" that has strap around the rifle butt. What do u say?

NFIA

I just looking at those rests in the Cabela's book.

For the style of hunting I do it's out of the question. My shooting is limited by equipment to under 1000 yards so I go light (relatively). I use the Harris LM bipod and a rear sandsock support. If I were a varminter or perhaps just getting into ULR I might try one.

I've seen a few at the range with guys trying them from a bench, seems like a lot of moving parts under recoil and that sure can't be good for accuracy.

I have used the a rest like the one you where talking about. If holds the gun and has a strap on the rear that goes across the recoil pad. I tried one for target shooting and PD hunting. What I found was that I was glad it was not me that pad over $100 dollars for one. I use front and rear bags at the range with a front rest. Or a harris for light field work like yote hunting. The thing was a paint to get adjusted and then after the shot you had to do it all aover again. It was ockward(spelling??) to shoot from as well. The one I used was called "cabelas elite rest. It may help with recoil but My groups went wild when I tried to use it at the range. On dogs it was too hard to move it around gave up after a few shots.

Yeah, You're probably right about one-piece rest. It may be harder to adjust compared to two-piece rest. I've been sitting and looking at one-piece rest in the catalogue. Good thing is that I didn't inform Santa to give me one. I'll switch to two piece rest. No need to tell me which brand of rest to buy. I'll continue researching on two-piece rest. (Harris bipod and rabbit-ear rear rest and also need Maxi-pad for my shoulder to absorb 338 Lapua recoil.) Thanks.
-DG

I agree w/Dave King. The general rule is " shoot like you hunt and hunt like you shoot". You can create bad or unknown habits on the bench that can hamper you in the field so do it the same everytime and you will not regret it.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.