Two More Black Coyotes

Nice. I saw my first black coyote this past fall. He was within 100 yards. Unfortunately I was at work which renders me unarmed.

The property I hunt has a black coloring on 1 clan on the east side and a light yellow on the western side. The group to the south are regular red/dirt color.

I was talking with one of my old "Helo Flying" friends that I have kept in touch with from the late seventies. We were in the same squadron back then and I try and go visit them every couple of years.
They live just to the south east of Lewisburg,TN. I asked him about hogs and he said they are just starting to show up where he is...so asked about Coyotes and he says they are thicker than the devil up there. Come up his hill right up to his back deck. Shot me this pic of one of those "black" ones that the guy right behind his land popped.

Needless to say I am headed up there next week with my M&P10 and the new Armasight Pro to drop some dogs!!

TN_Black_Coyote.jpg

We have the black phase in northwest Louisiana also. Taken 2 off my place, one by gun and the other by trap. Not to common though.

sorry for the delay. Yes they had pink eyes. there were six I guess all from the same litter. I know of five that were taken and no idea about the sixth. It seems they were nearly blind as they were easy to get close to.

How far away,what rifle and caliber and what call did they come in on ?

Ironworker, I was shooting a Remington 700 ADL in 243 Winchester. The first black coyote was running about 65 or 70 yards near where the FoxPro call was located. He and a gray coyote came in to a baby cottontail call, along with the FoxJack decoy. When I shot the first black dog, the gray ran into a fence row and disappeared. At the shot, the FoxPro call switched to coyote pup in distress. About a minute later, a second pair of black and grays came running in to the call. I shot the gray as it ran by the dead black. The second black headed for the fence row and I killed him running broadside at about 100 yards. I finished the gray, who was dragging itself away, and realized I was out of ammo, so I turned the call off. I never dreamed I'd need more than four rounds.