Two More Black Coyotes

Nimrodmar10

Had a great hunt a couple of weeks ago. I got permission to hunt a farm just across the ridge from the place I killed the black coyote last fall. The first time I hunted the place, I killed a triple. Two of them were blacks. That's 3 blacks from the same pack. I hope I didn't kill the breeder with the dominant gene.

Attachments

• IMG_20150208_174318030.jpg
    IMG_20150208_174318030.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 212
Yeah, I'm having all three black ones soft tanned, as well as the grey that was with the last two. She had a lot of black in her also. I don't have the money or the room for full-body mounts.

"What big jaws your coyotes have!"

"What big feet your coyotes have!"

"What strange fur your coyotes have!"

Congratulations on your hybrid kills.

jakelly, I don't think they're hybrids, I think it's a color phase. I'm seeing pictures of black phase coyotes from lots of different places. Most of them have the same white spot on the chest. I believe it's just a melanistic color phase. I think you can find pure blooded coyotes that range from almost white to black.

I have only ever seen the black ones posted by you guys back east. I haven't seen anyone post any from any western states. Maybe some have seen them but I have yet to see or hear of anyone out west shooting them.

That black one on the passenger side looks like it has the paws of an 80 lb German Shepherd. You might be right, but out of curiosity what did they weigh? Looks like over 50 pounds.

I have only ever seen the black ones posted by you guys back east. I haven't seen anyone post any from any western states. Maybe some have seen them but I have yet to see or hear of anyone out west shooting them.

I grew up in PA (with no coyotes), moved to MT in 2001, saw and hunted lots of coyotes, and now I'm back in WV and the "coyotes" here look more like wolves than the coyotes there. In any regards great shooting and hunting! Those hides are gonna be great.

That black one on the passenger side looks like it has the paws of an 80 lb German Shepherd. You might be right, but out of curiosity what did they weigh? Looks like over 50 pounds.

Must of been the camera angle on the feet. All three were good coyotes, but I doubt that any of them would weigh 40 pounds, more like 30-35 lbs.
I started coyote hunting in California in the early 70s. The coyotes there were smaller than the ones here, but not by much. Most of them would weigh from 25-35 lbs. The coyotes we killed here in Tennessee in the 70s were few and far between and we're mixed with dogs much of the time. But as the population increased, that became less true. Coyotes will cross with dogs if there aren't any coyotes around but they will stay with coyotes if available.
I recently read somewhere that DNA studies were done on Eastern Coyotes and it was decided that they had Wolf DNA in them along with their coyote genes.

One thing that I expect will happen in the area where I killed the 3 black coyotes, I expect the "black panther" sightings to decrease.:)