Two Miles!

I'd really wonder what one of Kirbys full tilt XHS could do at that distance.

Sounded like they said keep holding on the plate as is and not making any fine tuning, so they just shot until it finally hit?

... so they just shot until it finally hit?

That's my impression. Then they went home ....
All they proved is that there isn't a + MOA rail on the market to get the sights high enough to make the adjustment necessary for a shot like that (someone on the video said something about a custom made rail) and that if you can keep the bullet in the air long enough it will hit a target at that distance.
I want to see someone who can hit that target 5 times out of five.

That's my impression. Then they went home ....
All they proved is that there isn't a + MOA rail on the market to get the sights high enough to make the adjustment necessary for a shot like that (someone on the video said something about a custom made rail) and that if you can keep the bullet in the air long enough it will hit a target at that distance.
I want to see someone who can hit that target 5 times out of five.

I would settle for a first round, cold bore hit (then see it two days in a row)

Various types of shooting bring different perspectives. My all-time favorite involves hanging rounds in the air for several seconds. With each type comes reasonable expectations.

If I had to venture, my longest computed hit on a 55 gallon drum sized target is somewhere in the neighborhood of 9 miles. Obviously this was a unique system specifically intended for long range shooting. However, ballistics is ballistics requiring all the fine details and computations involving both a weapon and the environment. Reasonably expected shot percentage will follow each type of shooting environment with time of flight a significant discriminator. I would estimate it took over 1000 rounds before steel finally met with steel. There were many close calls but only one round connected at this distance.

Shooting steel 9 miles involving a crew is not the same as shooting steel 2 miles solo, along follow the expectations for a first round hit. Shooting steel two miles is not the same as killing an elk at 1000 yards, along follow the expectations for a first round hit. Killing an elk at 1000 yards is not the same as shooting an elk in the head at 100 yards, along follow the expectations for first round shot placement. And finally, shooting an elk in the head at 100 yards is not the same as shooting only one leg off a fly same distance….then doing so three times in a row…..on three different days.

If one is expected to achieve 100% success with a first round shot to include placement, the wise man will ensure the conditions are in place before taking such a shot. If expectations are only 1 in 1000 with no requirement for success, realizing this should not prevent one from attempting along with the enjoyment of trying and the sense of accomplishment when finally connecting.

Congratulations to all involved with the 2 mile shot. 2 miles is quite the journey.

This is on my to-do list over a weekend this coming summer. I estimate I will need 115 to 120 MOA of elevation for the anticipated atmospheric conditions. A 40 MOA base with ATACR scope set on 12.5x should allow just this requirement. Uncertainty analysis predicts I will have about as much chance for a hit as hitting a Green 00 bet on a roulette wheel. I know the odds are low, and expect results to mirror the odds. If I hit or miss, I won't care. I'll just be happy while sitting next to a high altitude lake with my family viewing top of the earth beauty, and thankful I had the chance to try.

Either way, all the shots were close and remember IT"S 2 MILES!!!! If it was 1760 (1mile) or 2000 yds I would expect a MUCH higher hit precentage but it's another 1000 yds on top of that.
I don't care what people say.... On shots like that, no matter what you shot there is a lil luck involved. Over 7 seconds of flight time on a shot like that.

JMO

I was nearly thrown off of another site for making a remark about this.

All I said was.... With a few dozen rounds (the shooter admitted it took nearly two dozen shots AFTER they dialed in the ballpark) it was a no brainer.

Lol, clearly he would have hit it eventually. Currently, the technology just isn't here for getting it on the gong in 2-3 shots.

Personally, I think a cold bore hit on a shotgun clay at 1000 is about 100 times more impressive than this.

Glad some of us agree.

Originally Posted by TXAoudadKlr View Post

375 AM XHS #56
Leuy 5.5-20 TMR - 40 MOA rail.
150 gr H-50 BMG
377 gr Cutting Edge - bc 0.95 (published)
MV: 3184 FPS (Chrony :rolleyes:)
300 yd zero

She's a little hot at that load which reduces case life to less than desired. I'll probably slow her down to around 3125 where brass lasts and lasts and lasts.....

No shots beyond 300 so far with these bullets but SMKs shoot lights out at 1126 with a significantly lower bc.....

Shooter calls for 133.1 MOA up dope for 3600 yards @ 24"Hg

It'll probably take over a year to work up to that distance..... if I choose to.

However, when I get dopes/drops verified out to 2000+ if anyone wants to team up for the attempt maybe we'll move the date up a year or so.....:rolleyes:

Originally Posted by TXAoudadKlr View Post

375 AM XHS #56
Leuy 5.5-20 TMR - 40 MOA rail.
150 gr H-50 BMG
377 gr Cutting Edge - bc 0.95 (published)
MV: 3184 FPS (Chrony :rolleyes:)
300 yd zero

She's a little hot at that load which reduces case life to less than desired. I'll probably slow her down to around 3125 where brass lasts and lasts and lasts.....

No shots beyond 300 so far with these bullets but SMKs shoot lights out at 1126 with a significantly lower bc.....

Shooter calls for 133.1 MOA up dope for 3600 yards @ 24"Hg

It'll probably take over a year to work up to that distance..... if I choose to.

However, when I get dopes/drops verified out to 2000+ if anyone wants to team up for the attempt maybe we'll move the date up a year or so.....:rolleyes:

Is this an open invite to go shooting with the legendary royinidaho?! WOW!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.