Two Miles!

Various types of shooting bring different perspectives. My all-time favorite involves hanging rounds in the air for several seconds. With each type comes reasonable expectations.

If I had to venture, my longest computed hit on a 55 gallon drum sized target is somewhere in the neighborhood of 9 miles. Obviously this was a unique system specifically intended for long range shooting. However, ballistics is ballistics requiring all the fine details and computations involving both a weapon and the environment. Reasonably expected shot percentage will follow each type of shooting environment with time of flight a significant discriminator. I would estimate it took over 1000 rounds before steel finally met with steel. There were many close calls but only one round connected at this distance.

Shooting steel 9 miles involving a crew is not the same as shooting steel 2 miles solo, along follow the expectations for a first round hit. Shooting steel two miles is not the same as killing an elk at 1000 yards, along follow the expectations for a first round hit. Killing an elk at 1000 yards is not the same as shooting an elk in the head at 100 yards, along follow the expectations for first round shot placement. And finally, shooting an elk in the head at 100 yards is not the same as shooting only one leg off a fly same distance….then doing so three times in a row…..on three different days.

If one is expected to achieve 100% success with a first round shot to include placement, the wise man will ensure the conditions are in place before taking such a shot. If expectations are only 1 in 1000 with no requirement for success, realizing this should not prevent one from attempting along with the enjoyment of trying and the sense of accomplishment when finally connecting.

Congratulations to all involved with the 2 mile shot. 2 miles is quite the journey.

This is on my to-do list over a weekend this coming summer. I estimate I will need 115 to 120 MOA of elevation for the anticipated atmospheric conditions. A 40 MOA base with ATACR scope set on 12.5x should allow just this requirement. Uncertainty analysis predicts I will have about as much chance for a hit as hitting a Green 00 bet on a roulette wheel. I know the odds are low, and expect results to mirror the odds. If I hit or miss, I won't care. I'll just be happy while sitting next to a high altitude lake with my family viewing top of the earth beauty, and thankful I had the chance to try.
\

9 miles......15,840yards. I gotta call BS on this one...unless you are talking military, in which case....It's Friggen awesome to be an American, isn,t it?!?!?!!!

9 miles with drone bullets. LOL Everyone would like us to believe they have the magic to bend the bullets to the target. At 2 miles we can only assume there are a very few people that can consistently hit a large target. I am a land surveyor and look through a 30 power telescope frequently in all situations of natural conditions from desert to mountains. It takes high quality equipment to see a survey target at 2 miles and use a lazar to measure the distance to 1 hundredth of a foot. Ideal conditions are night or cool mornings with cloud cover as when the sun comes up the heat waves kick in and cause long distance targets to dance all over. Higher the temperature worse the heat waves. Also the lower to the ground you are the worse the heat waves. Shooting from a high point to a high point will reduce heat wave some but then wind becomes a major problem because it can be blowing in several directions in that 2 mile distance. At 2 miles the curvature of the earth also becomes a factor along with barometric pressure. When you have several thousand rounds to burn sooner or later you will hit the target Like the basketball player that tosses the basket ball from one end of the court to the other and makes the last winning shot. Does it happen yes, frequently no. Some times we have to realize we are just mortals and except that. There are plenty of feathers to go in hats for the hail mary pass. Do they mean anything not unless you have a large some bet on when it will happen. The military takes the low scoring shooters that just qualifies on the range and hands them fully auto weapons to through as much lead at the enemy to keep there heads down and maybe hit some. The best shots end up snipers go figure.

that scope only has 22 mils of travel aprox 65 moa from top to bottom plus the hash marks not enough travel. what was he holding on not the target....... b.s.
Might try researching before posting and throwing the BS flag!! He had 26.8 mil in the rail, 22.6 on the turret with a 10.8 hold.

Might try researching before posting and throwing the BS flag!! He had 26.8 mil in the rail, 22.6 on the turret with a 10.8 hold.

Agreed. This forum is all about the pleasant exchange of information. There's no reason to 'call' anybody on anything (that's what snipershide is for)

Rather than calling 'b.s.' pose it more as a question. e.g. "my research shows that the optic set up on the rifle doesn't have sufficient 'up' in order to engage a target at that distance. Can you tell us more about the set up?" By going this, we all might learn a little more. And if it turns out it is b.s., then we will all see it plainly without having to 'call' it.

video shows that he had a 150 moa rail with high rings. atempting to stay out of the 28 to 32" barrel view. I have built lots of high moa rails 65 & 70 moa rails. in looking at the video it in no way looks like a 150 moa rail. granted it is long so it could be higher than it looks. his scope travel is 65 moa at top subtract 65 moa from the 150 that is 85 moa that mean he would have to have a 20 moa zero at center of plex or if there enough hash marks above center line perhaps a zero above someware add 85 to 65 thats 150 moa add the perhaps viewable moa on a first focal plane on 25 power maybe at best 25 moa even at 35 moa holdover after full dial travel thats only 185 moa you tell me if my math is wrong.

Even if he could have gained the full moa needed to aim at the point of impact. walking a bullet into a target ? how many shots ? there has been lots of guys who have aimed at objects with a spotter above there intended target beyond there travel & holder over extent beyond 3000 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.