Twist Rates. Which one?!

benson821

Alright I am looking at LEFT HANDED savage rifles, 223 and 22-250.
Savage 223 twist is 1 in 9, 22-250 twist is 1 in 12

Which of these cartridges would you get given these twist rates?

What's the heaviest bullets you can run through them?

The rifles I am looking at are the Savage Model 12FLV (heavy barrel synthetic stock) or the Savage Model 10GLXP3 (regular barrel wood stock cheap scope).

Which cartridge would you shoot given the twist and what rifle would you personally use or suggest for plinking and hunting anything coyote and smaller. Is the heavy barrel a good? why would you want a heavy barrel vs the standard barrel and vice versa?

P.S. i reload 270 and 223 already.

Thanks for the help,
benson821

The 1-9 twist would be better for heavier bullets 69grns and up. I would look for a 22-250 with a 1-9 twist 223 is to slow for me with heavy bullets.

I realize this is an older thread but was wondering why it didn't get more responses, because this is a great question.

I'm not really qualified to talk about it but Ill give it a shot (no pun intended).

As I understand it, the rotation of the bullet stabalizes it like when you throw a footbal. The rate of twist is how many inches the bullet travels in the barrel to make one revolution. So 1-9 is faster spin than 1-11 because it only has to travel nine inches to make one rev as oposed to eleven inches.

Anyhoo, the bullet is spinning its ___ off. Thousand of RPMs. This helps it fly straight and true and I think it helps reduce drag also (not sure though).

I have read that some bullets will group smaller at longer ranges because the bullet needs time to go to sleep. Not that it is tired but, but like the football, it takes some distance for the spin (wobble) to settle out.

Correct me if I'm wrong but heavy bullets need more spin. So when you increase weight you may get better terminal ballistics but sacrifice some accuracy. The bullets Ballistic Coefitient represents how well it travels in the air. It is based on the shape(ogive) and sectional density. Sectional density is how fat the bullet is in relation to how much it weighs. A higher BC is a more efficient bullet.

So I recomend referencing a reloading book and decide what ballance you want between flat trajectory and down range stopping power and then chose the bullet weight and twist rate that meet your needs. Of course you would verify performance by testing at the range and in the field.

As for heavy barrels, they are not as handy or quick pointing in the field but offer more accuracy in that they are stiffer and affected less by harminics that develop in the barrel during the shot.

I realize this is an older thread but was wondering why it didn't get more responses, because this is a great question.

I'm not really qualified to talk about it but Ill give it a shot (no pun intended).

As I understand it, the rotation of the bullet stabalizes it like when you throw a footbal. The rate of twist is how many inches the bullet travels in the barrel to make one revolution. So 1-9 is faster spin than 1-11 because it only has to travel nine inches to make one rev as oposed to eleven inches.

Anyhoo, the bullet is spinning its ___ off. Thousand of RPMs. This helps it fly straight and true and I think it helps reduce drag also (not sure though).

I have read that some bullets will group smaller at longer ranges because the bullet needs time to go to sleep. Not that it is tired but, but like the football, it takes some distance for the spin (wobble) to settle out.

Correct me if I'm wrong but heavy bullets need more spin. So when you increase weight you may get better terminal ballistics but sacrifice some accuracy. The bullets Ballistic Coefitient represents how well it travels in the air. It is based on the shape(ogive) and sectional density. Sectional density is how fat the bullet is in relation to how much it weighs. A higher BC is a more efficient bullet.

So I recomend referencing a reloading book and decide what ballance you want between flat trajectory and down range stopping power and then chose the bullet weight and twist rate that meet your needs. Of course you would verify performance by testing at the range and in the field.

As for heavy barrels, they are not as handy or quick pointing in the field but offer more accuracy in that they are stiffer and affected less by harminics that develop in the barrel during the shot.

You are correct, you need a faster twist to stabilize a heavier bullet.

Given the choice between a 1:9 223 or a 1:12 22-250, I would go with the 223. With a 1:9 twist, you can easily shoot the 70grain VLD bullets at 3000fps. Run the ballistics on that and you have a longrange capable centerfire 22.

Unless you live in California you will be fine with a 1-12 or 1-14 twist in the 22-250. I have a left handed Mod. 700 win 22-250. It shoots lead bullets up to 55 gr. very well. However here in Kalifornia we now shoot unleaded bullets and because they are so much longer to attain wieght, anything over 36 gr. won't be stable in my gun. I will probably end up with a new barrel with a 1-8 twist. The .223s usually come with a tighter twist and should handle anything but the heaviest bullets. Good luck.

Unless you live in California you will be fine with a 1-12 or 1-14 twist in the 22-250. I have a left handed Mod. 700 win 22-250. It shoots lead bullets up to 55 gr. very well. However here in Kalifornia we now shoot unleaded bullets and because they are so much longer to attain wieght, anything over 36 gr. won't be stable in my gun. I will probably end up with a new barrel with a 1-8 twist. The .223s usually come with a tighter twist and should handle anything but the heaviest bullets. Good luck.

Totally disagree.

1. OP is not in California
2. Ballistics of a 70grain VLD (BC = .371) going 3000fps in a 1:9 twist 223 are far better than a 55grain bullet (BC = .224) going 3400fps in a 1:12 twist 22-250

Drop compensating turrets have changed everything in the shooting world. Historicaly , fast and flat were the answer , less hold over for long shots allowed for some spectacular 400 yard shots on varmets with a 220 Swift. Now , with dial the distance, 500 yards with a 223 or a 22-250 are quite easily attainable. The faster twist and heavier bullets will extend that out to 700 , 800 or even further with still enough energy and velocity for bullet expansion. The real game now is doping the wind. Good luck !!

Phil, shooting instructor for The Best of the West.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.