Twist Rate; How important?

superdave24

So how important is the Twist rate? I am looking at a Remington 700 SPS Varmint (Bull Barrel 20"). It has a TR of 12. Should I look for something like 9 or 10 for more precision?

Twist rate is important. It determines what bullet you can use. Is the rifle a .223?

A 12" twist for a .308 would be fine with me. I don't think they have enough powder capacity to use a bullet that is too big for a 12" twist.

A 12 twist in my opinion is the best for the .308 WIN. Will stabilize everything that is practical in it.

Twist rate is important if you want your rifle to perform well for the intended purpose. Because, as you increase the BC of the bullets you'll need a tighter twist, it's important to know ahead of time how you'll use the rifle. I'd first decide whether it's primary use will be hunting or competition target and work from there. Consider the range of bullets you would most likely choose for the primary sport and match the twist rate to that range of bullets. The 1:12 should work fine for the .308 up to (I estimate) 185 grains lead core. I would expect the Barnes Tipped Triple Shock in any bullet weight less than 175 grains to also perform well and the Seirra MKs would be another consideration where you may be forced to use lead free bullets. choice.

Let's put it this way. I am a beginner but want to learn how to shoot good as well as hunt. I will probably shoot it more at the range than go hunting because I don't have that much freezer space to keep all the meat. LOL
If I get good I would consider diving deeper into the whole competition shooting and reloading. For now I'm novice but would like to have a good affordable rifle to do both if I choose to.

Let's put it this way. I am a beginner but want to learn how to shoot good as well as hunt. I will probably shoot it more at the range than go hunting because I don't have that much freezer space to keep all the meat. LOL
If I get good I would consider diving deeper into the whole competition shooting and reloading. For now I'm novice but would like to have a good affordable rifle to do both if I choose to.

If you are just beginning look into a good rifle that won't break the bank. You don't need to spend $2k on a rifle just starting out or in general. I don't have more than $1500 in any of my rifles and I shoot and hunt all the time with them. If I were you, look into a Remington or Savage. Stay away from the "bargain rifles" and stick to the tried and true Model 700 from Remington or the Savage 10,11, or 110 style actions. This way when you want to ever rebarrel, restock, new trigger, whatever you are working from a great action. The actions I mentioned are the most accurate mass produced actions available and will shoot with custom actions if they are true and have good barrels threaded into them.

What's your budget, how far you plan on shooting, and what's your game? These are important to know then we can suggest which rifle, cartridge, and setup will best suit you!gun)

So how important is the Twist rate? I am looking at a Remington 700 SPS Varmint (Bull Barrel 20"). It has a TR of 12. Should I look for something like 9 or 10 for more precision?
-------

OK, now that it's clear that you intend to target shoot, IMO the 1:12 rate should do just fine. That's a good twist rate for everything from a .223 to a .308, depending on the bullet you choose. So, if you've got a good deal going with the 700SPS I'd say buy it and enjoy the experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.