Twist Rate for .243 or 6mm Rem Combo Varmint/Deer Rifle

dimecovers3

I am under the general impression that folks who build a .243 or 6mm for yotes or Eastern woodchucks use 78-87 brain bullets and folks who do it for Eastern Whitetails use 85-100 grain bullets. I am not sure if I want a .243 or a 6mm and I am also undecided on having the AI version of each, but I would like to know what twist would be optimal for a varmint/deer medium weight walking sporter. I will not use ultra high 115 etc, bullets in this gun. I have others for that. I will likely never shoot over 300 and 200 would be a more common, "long shot". What would be the twist of your choice? So far 1 in 10 seems right, but I really am in unfamilar waters with this caliber. I sure wish Lapua made 6mm Rem brass and then I would have the cartridge nailed down too. Am not sure if having better available brass for the .243 outweighs the extra capcity of the Rem. 6 Also, will a 100 grain handloaded bullet(in the 6mm Rem.) fit in a Rem 700 short action O.K. ? Seems I heard it could get tight in that regard. Any comments welcome. And if I go AI, does just buying Lapua 6.5/.284 brass and necking down make more sense and take less time than fireforming? Would that fit also as well in the 700 short action? Does anybody make a .243 in a twist like I would want from the factory? I am under the impression they don't. Also, I am not worried about accuracy life in that it will be shot maybe 50 times per year at the most.

Go with the .243 for the Lapua brass, and you will not be able to tell the difference between the two rounds inside of 300 yards. You can load up 85, 95 or 100 gr Nosler Partitions. Everyone of those bullets will be pretty close to flat shooting enough to be dead deer out to 300 yards. You can play with 105 AMAX with a 1:9 twist too. That will get you out to 1k if you ever got the itch. That twist will not over twist any of the VMAX for use on varmints. I would go with the 65 or 75 gr VMAX for your varmints inside of 300 yards and watch the red mist fly.

For maximum expansion factor go with 12 twist and shoot the nosler 55 gr Ballistic tips . 300 yds and in is the best , just dont expect to have something to take pix of . 4000 fps is beyond red mist .

Jim B.

most all 243's are 10" twist. im working on a good load with magpro powder and 87g v-max bullets in mine now. then i will try something in the 95 to 105 for possible deer season. i doubt i will be able to shoot the 105 a-max, but i will give it a try. the 100 nosler BT will probably be what i end up with.

i built a 6wssm, 9 twist, and i only shoot the 105 a-max. it's great for varmints or deer and you can shoot it a lot farther than 300.i don't think you need the extra case capacity of the 284 for under 300. a 243 with a 10 twist will do everything you want it to.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.