Turret Stop

I have a scope with target turrets. The scope is fantastic but it has no turret stop. Because of this lack of feature I often worry that while in the field my turret will get bumped and I will not be able to find my 100 yard zero.

Has anyone got any ways of of making turret stops? I have considered using a plastic insert between the bottom of the turret and the housing of the scope, however, I am unable to find any plastic that is durable enough yet workable enough to do what I am wanting to do.

Hopefully, someone else has come up with a solution for this.

Kyle

What kind of scope is it?

I cut some thin section off of some plastic pipe and then used a belt sander to get it to the proper thinness.

Then a person reported that they had damaged their scope using a homemade zero stop so I took it out. Other people reported no damage. I do not know what the exact total truth is about homemade zero stops.

I missed five shots in a row this Fall because I did not have a zero stop and was off by one whole revolution. If I ever unmount that scope I will send it back to NF for a retrofit.

I too have a NF and it was used when I got it. It was not fitted with the stop. I have never heard of people damaging their scopes...I am glad you said something. Now I will have to research that. The last thing I need is a damaged scope.

Kyle

Not to be a total smart *** but doesn't Nightforce have baselines?

Instead of making your drop charts in moa try making it read off of baselines...

ex: baseline 3 = zero @ 100
baseline 4+8 = zero @ 900 (or 23moa)

The lines under your turrets serve a purpose, and that's to keep you from getting lost.

A guy on snipers hide (308 newb) makes an after market set of clear spacers for leups and NF. Real reaonable and allows turret covers to go back on.

search classifieds under opitcs and other items

BH

Not to be a total smart *** but doesn't Nightforce have baselines?

When either of my kids pick up one of my rifles the first thing they ask is "Who shot it last?" :D If it was me, then they ask how far I shot and spin the dial back down. :D

Two kinds of people

1. Those that can remember what they are doing
and
2. Those of us who carry our drivers license around because we cannot remember our home address. We are the ones who NF sells the Zero Stops to.

When either of my kids pick up one of my rifles the first thing they ask is "Who shot it last?" :D If it was me, then they ask how far I shot and spin the dial back down. :D

Two kinds of people

1. Those that can remember what they are doing
and
2. Those of us who carry our drivers license around because we cannot remember our home address. We are the ones who NF sells the Zero Stops to.

Sadly, I must agree with this! Actually, I am more worried my knobs will get turned without my knowing such as during transport or get bumped while in the field. It would seem only logical that scope makers would put the stop feature on a scope as a basic feature to prevent such an occurrence -- but they don't and I am not sure why. I also have a Nikon that I need a stop for.

Another reason I want a stop for is that it is quicker to turn the knob quickly until it stops and be at your zero than to have to look down at the knob and then turn it down watching the markings to make sure you are right back to where you should be.

Kyle

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.