Turning garage into reloading command center! Ideas welcome!!!

No it wont. Most Ductless mini splits have inverter technology. They don't run at full capacity all the time. Purchase a Mitsubishi or Daikin brand and you will be fine. Rule of thumb is 700 sq ft per ton of cooling in an insulated home. Yours being in a garage and I think you said Phoenix was your town you will definitively want a 24,000 BTU Unit which equals 2 tons of cooling. 12,000 BTUS'S = 1 Ton of cooling. It will ramp up on a 115 degree day to high and on your cooler 90 degree days it will adjust accordingly. Also as far as condensation goes that is what an A/C does first it removes humidity and then cools the ambient air. Condensation is a non issue.

Thanks for the response! I have a friend that owns an ac co. and he also recommended a 2 ton. I read about the condensation thing on the Internet. I'm glad to hear it should not be a concern. I have decided to insulate the attic above the garage because this unit will be mounted on the ceiling and it is typically 150-180 in the attic during the summer. Even with the insulation I think the ac unit will be running almost non stop if left on. I want to be able to shut it off if I know I'm not going to be out there for a while and have things be ok. If it's just powder and primers I have to worry about then I could put them in my safe in the house while I'm not using them.

When I'm triing to figure out a room or work area. I will use tape or chalk and lay a grid out on the floor of where everything is then walk around at see if it works. You might want to make your benches bigger or small.

Thanks for all the great advice guys! I finished drawing up the plans. The bench is going to be a 15' counter top set on top of cabinets. The countertop will be 2 3/4" sheets screwed and glued as recommended with Formica glued over it. The cabinets and countertop will be anchored to the wall. It should be plenty solid. The ductless mini split ac is a must! I had never heard of these and can't believe they don't come standard in AZ. All these years I've been avoiding my garage during the summer months but not anymore. I would post pics of the plans but don't know how?

Well boys and girls the reloading command center is nearing completion! I still have some finishing touches but I couldn't wait to share the pics. Now if someone will offer to post them for me I'll email them. I can't upload pics.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.