Turkey feathers or plastic fletching for recurve bow?

I always have a few feather Fletched arrows around and being at doesn't seem to affect them. I'm shooting compound bows but even with feathers wet and matted they shot same as dry ones, or close enough at least. Pluses of feathers, lighter weight for better foc, a little more drag for better stabilization with broadheads, they fold out of way much easier when impacting things during flight, they look cool.

I would stick with feathers using a recurve or longbow. I have had excellent results keeping feathers dry using both powder and liquid based repellents. A fletching cover also works quite well. Both items are available from Three Rivers Archery.

Living in Oregon, I shot my recurve throughout the winter with vanes, modified by taking scissors and making cuts 1/4" apart to "feather" them. It makes them come off the shelf with minimum deflection and they withstand the wet way better than my feathers... you might find it works for you, too. I've had some diehard traditionalists impressed with their performance.

Attachments

• F9FC40A8-4D32-43EC-825D-B27657B4E20D.jpeg
    F9FC40A8-4D32-43EC-825D-B27657B4E20D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 395
  • 66EA3C3E-F572-47E0-83FE-1A8EE538A79C.jpeg
    66EA3C3E-F572-47E0-83FE-1A8EE538A79C.jpeg
    994.7 KB · Views: 381
Living in Oregon, I shot my recurve throughout the winter with vanes, modified by taking scissors and making cuts 1/4" apart to "feather" them. It makes them come off the shelf with minimum deflection and they withstand the wet way better than my feathers... you might find it works for you, too. I've had some diehard traditionalists impressed with their performance.
Are those a little noisy?

Hey Ya'll,

trying to get good enough to hunt small and big game with recurve bow. Using 400 spline shafts with turkey feathers.
They get soaking wet in the rain and I'm sure POI is different when they are soaked.
is there any advantage to rule
Simple to use a can of Coleman's silicone waterproofing spray to keep them dry for the season. Just make sure you spray them and let them dry outside for about a week to dissipate the smell before you take them hunting. Spin the shaft after spraying and let dry.

I made them years ago:

PSE STL Hunter 100 - 4" vanes

Shaft: 29" @ 6.6 gr/inch (191.4 gr)

11/16" - 1/4" wood dowel
2 1/2" - 1/4" threaded rod (200 gr)
Insert: red aluminum (18 gr)

Vanes: 24 gr

Field Point: 125 gr
or
NAP Hellrazor broadhead: 125 gr

Est. Total Wt: 570 grains

OAL: 31"
Balance point: 22.25" (15.5+6.75)
FOC: 21.774%

they hit hard...

I have shot both for a long time and like feathers for recurve and plastic for compound I have shot wet feathers in recurve and compound even when wet they shoot the same for me the key is having your bow tuned to the shaft

Definitely feathers. I used to go the 5" feather years ago, but found the 4" was plenty to stabilize thy he arrow. I'm shooting 29" 35/55 Goldtip Trads with 125 gr Grizzly broadhead. With this setup feathers are a must. Bob Lee 47#recurve good for a cow elk and 5x6 bull. Buried shaft on both. Many, many years ago before or early compound days I tried the vanes. Terrible flight. I dont use anything for feather dry. If it's raining I get under good tree. Cover bow with poncho or lean up against tree. I have had to use a gallon ziplock over fletching on horseback.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.