Turkey feathers or plastic fletching for recurve bow?

Jed Eckert

Hey Ya'll,

trying to get good enough to hunt small and big game with recurve bow. Using 400 spline shafts with turkey feathers.
They get soaking wet in the rain and I'm sure POI is different when they are soaked.
is there any advantage to rule

I'm shooting off a rest
Feathers are cool, but I think I'll like the weather resistance of plastic.
Just like Wood stock rifles vs synthetic.

thanks a bunch

First of all which finger do you anchor with the trick is getting the arrow as close to your eye as possible when you anchor the center of your arrow needs to line up with the center of your pupil I always anchored with my middle finger in the corner of my mouth and the cock feather touching the tip of my nose giving me to anchor points that usually would take care of any shot out to 25 yards after that the tip of your arrow comes more not play you also need to can't your bow the higher you are above your target the more you can't that helps get rid of some of your height and wind age issues and then practice practice I would shoot in the dark about 20 ft from the target just working on my release and form it will surprise you how tight a group you will get when you can't even see your target just by getting your form down. David

Stay with feathers. Get the "Feather Dry" powder. Pour in a gallon zip loc bag, place feather end of one arrow in bag, gather bag around shaft and shake it for a few seconds. Do each arrow this way. This is what I use for my hunting arrows. I build all of my wood arrows with mostly turkey feathers from my turkey I get and my friends turkey wings. The feathers you buy that are colors have most of the water repellent qualities boiled from then when coloring.
I have been shooting and building traditional gear for 30 years and I don't see much issue with wet feathers unless you are shooting longer distances due to the small amount of weight the moisture adds to the arrow. You can also place zip lock bags on each shaft, over the feathers and zip it closed around the shaft while in the quiver and as you take from quiver and nock it, you can pull the bag off of the feathers and stick in pocket. I do this when I know I'm hunting in the rain a lot, like in CO. Where I do most of my hunting, in KS, during the deer season time I hunt I don't get any rain. It is either sleet, snow or just so dang cold the snow doesn't stick to the feathers.
Good luck.

Mike

Been using feathers a good many years. Alot of times I spray them with silicone and let dry for a few weeks when I build my wood arrows. If you use vanes, clearance and spine becomes very important, especially when cold. Had a bow with a rest and plunger that didn't have quite enough clearance. Shot fine during regular season, but at 20 below, arrow was flying sideways in about 7 yards.

First of all which finger do you anchor with the trick is getting the arrow as close to your eye as possible when you anchor the center of your arrow needs to line up with the center of your pupil I always anchored with my middle finger in the corner of my mouth and the cock feather touching the tip of my nose giving me to anchor points that usually would take care of any shot out to 25 yards after that the tip of your arrow comes more not play you also need to can't your bow the higher you are above your target the more you can't that helps get rid of some of your height and wind age issues and then practice practice I would shoot in the dark about 20 ft from the target just working on my release and form it will surprise you how tight a group you will get when you can't even see your target just by getting your form down. David

I do right index finger in corner of mouth now with 3 under.
I'll try without the rest and shoot off shelf with feathers, middle finger in mouth,
Thanks!
I'll try dark practice

Been using feathers a good many years. Alot of times I spray them with silicone and let dry for a few weeks when I build my wood arrows. If you use vanes, clearance and spine becomes very important, especially when cold. Had a bow with a rest and plunger that didn't have quite enough clearance. Shot fine during regular season, but at 20 below, arrow was flying sideways in about 7 yards.

like silicone spray for car door hinges etc?