tunneling in my scope. normal?

Robster80

i have a 3.5-10x44. meopta meopro scope on my 270. love the scope. great glass and fits low to barrel. anyways ive noticed this scope has pretty bad tunnel effect on all powers. eye relief is set right. was wondering is this normal on some scopes or could something possibly be wrong with something inside the scope?

What do you mean by "tunnel effect"? It's a term I normally associate with the field of view not growing as the zoom ring is turned down.when it happens, it's only during the lowest ~20% of the zoom range.

like the view doesnt go all the way to the edge. sort of like looking thro a toilet paper roll a black ring around the view

like the view doesnt go all the way to the edge. sort of like looking thro a toilet paper roll a black ring around the view
I've noticed that on some scopes. The effective field of view of the eyepiece is larger than the field of view of the erector. The difference in the two fields of view has the appearance of a black ring.

I don't think it's a serious "problem". On paper, the field of view of that model at 10X seems low by ~10%, compared to other 3.5x10 scopes. That may account for the effect you're seeing. However, the lower field of view may in part be due to the true magnification being larger than 10X. Magnification values indicated by the model are rarely accurate. The Meopta catalog doesn't list the true magnification.

In the end, I think the black ring is more of a "cosmetic" issue. Even though it doesn't look right to some people, it doesn't diminish the performance of the scope.

I know what you're talking about. My Nikon Buckmasters are the "poster children" of tunnel vision: put my 6-18x up against my Sightron 4-16x SII Big Sky and it's like looking through a 1" pipe compared to - well, the sky - the Sightron's view is that much more spacious and edge-to-edge. Thought it might just be a problem with side-focus scopes at first, but it seems to be an issue with fixed-parallax and AO, too. In fact, I was ready to buy a 6-20x Weaver Grand Slam before they are closed out; read on another forum of that otherwise fine scope's tunnel vision and that was a deal-breaker for me. Might not bother some people, others might never notice the difference if it's not pointed out.

yea i didmtnreally notice it at first. til i looked thro a few other scopes and i was like what the heck. i love the scope tho but this tunneling is really annoying. ill deal with it for the rest of the season and likely change the scope next year

Its called vignetting. And its where the optics of the device see further width than mechanically it can do. Such as putting a scope front hood on thats made for a higher power scope

If you do have a hood on it...remove it. If you dont...send the scope back

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.