Tuning for long range

Thanks. I know a lot of people are using the Redding. Just seen this stuff and thought it might work and it's easier to get.

idcwby

Just out of curiosity, this is what inside my necks look like after pulling them out of the tumbler. Is that enough carbon inside the neck?

Thanks
idcwby

Let me see if I got this straight....
Take 100 pieces of new brass, lube and run through FL die. Load up light loads and go shoot.
After shooting all 100 pieces, de-prime, use nylon brush on inside of necks for light cleaning, load up for max pressure test. Once max pressure is found, load up 10 rounds and shoot a ladder test, preferably 500+ yards. Record velocity and locate node. Load a few more in node and shoot group. Refining/tweaking with bullet seating.
Is that about the jist of it?

Couple questions....
After the initial 100 rounds. Do you remove the neck expanding ball in the FL die and run the case up? Do you also bump the shoulders back or leave that alone?

Do you remove the neck expanding ball in the FL die and run the case up?

IMHO, I've never had any issues leaving the expander in & still achieving 1/2moa accuracy.
Most BR shooters & others say to remove it to reduce runout.

BUT you do still need to re expand to give a constant .02 to .01 minimum neck tension.

So you need a separate expander mandrel like a K&M with a specific diameter if you are going to remove the factory expander out of your FL or NK die.

Just my opinion!!

Last edited:
I ditch the expander ball. Virgin brass gets the expanded mandrel that equals .002" neck tension. The 100 pieces of fire forming brass comes in for new barrel. I have shot some good groups with virgin brass if headspace is correct. Full length size with about .002 shoulder bump back every time. But yes you can use a ladder for initial. Then shoot groups where poi was the same.

Just out of curiosity, this is what inside my necks look like after pulling them out of the tumbler. Is that enough carbon inside the neck?

Thanks
idcwby
Just looks like tumbler material has adhered to the case, maybe due to residue, but more likely just brass oxyidation.

Still I have never used those old media type of tumblers.

I only ultrasonic clean or SS pin tumble!

Last edited:
I've had this thread bookmarked for years. It's awesome. Kinda like the good old days when there were fewer keyboard experts

Really appreciate this thread getting brought back to life. Good stuff!
I think I've absorbed more usable data out of this single thread than months of reading multiple others!
Great discussion!

Mr wheeler knows his stuff. When I was starting to build rifles he saw me flailing on the forum with what to do. He gave me his number and talked for an hour about rifle building. Big help and no bs. So much stuff doesn't need to be done to build an accurate rifle. Very knowledgeable guy